NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Discussion Thread

Options
This discussion has a more recent version.
MicroCenterOfficial
edited April 2021 in Graphics Cards

Today is the big day: Nvidia has released their new wave of graphics cards, the GeForce RTX 3060s, bringing more RTX goodness at a lower price.

Photo: NVIDIA

The GeForce RTX 3060 boasts ray tracing support, as well as DLSS, or Deep Learning Super Sampling, to help get your games looking as good as they can with the help of AI.

New with the GeForce RTX 3060 is resizable BAR, which, when used with a compatible motherboard, allows for all of the GPU's memory to be accessed by the CPU simultaneously, creating a performance boost for gaming.

And, of course, the GeForce RTX 3060 can make use of NVIDIA's suite of tools, including NVIDIA Reflex to reduce system latency, NVIDIA Broadcast for chat apps, and the Advanced GeForce Experience, an all-in-one stop for game optimization, GPU tuning, and driver updates.

If you're looking for GeForce RTX 3060 build inspiration, we've put together a build guide for the RTX 3060, showcasing an Intel and an AMD build!

What do you think of the RTX 3060? Are you going to pick one up? Feel free to use this thread for all things RTX 3060!

Comments

• Neo
    Options

I wasn't able to buy a 3060 today despite Microcenter in MD having plenty in stock. I was told they gave out vouchers and that folks had all day to claim them. If the customer haven't picked them up by 6pm they should have sold them to people ready to pay. I won't shop at Microcenter for a while!

• TSTDavey
    Options

Hello @Neo and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. We're sorry you were unable to get a 3060 cards today. Those cards were in very high demand today with it being the release day. I'm sure there are a lot of other customers who are feeling the same way you. Unfortunately our stores only had a certain amount of 3060 vouchers and cards to sell.

But there are still opportunities to get a 3060. The stores still continue to get GPUs and 3060 cards going forward.

Since all GPUs right now are in high demand and there is a industry wide shortage, I'd recommend to visit the store first thing in the morning if you can for the next few days. Or choose a couple of days next week (ex., Tuesday & Wednesday), to see if the store is giving out vouchers for these cards. The vouchers are giving out on a first come first serve basis. If you have vacation time with your employer, take a few days off and show up to the store bright and early before they open with a chance to get a 3060 voucher.

Just sharing some input on the best way to obtain a 3060 or any GPU cards at the moment from Microcenter.

Good luck to you.

• JJOP
    Options

Stop sounding like an everything is rosey shuckster. This GPU shortage is painful and there is nothing enjoyable about an item where demand so far outweighs supply, you might as well not even try to buy one. I went and stood in a ridiculous line this morning, knowing full well I had ZERO chance of getting one of these things. Once my obvious failure came to its fulfillment, I went and returned all the parts for my PC build. It isn't worth having parts when it's useless without a GPU.

It feels like the damned Hunger Games...

• update more frequently the inventory on the website, because you go to the store and there is never anything...

waste of time

• JemuzuTTV
    Options

You're selling to obvious Scalpers despite what you claim. Those of us with jobs and lives can't afford to camp out for hours in front of your stores every single morning till you randomly get stock in and we can be first. The only ones who can do that do not have jobs or are making their money off of scalping, tech reviewing (youtube), or make a full time living live streaming (twitch). I myself bought a 3070 from an obvious Scalper after 6 wasted trips in terrible snow and icey roads racing to my local Micro Center putting myself in danger to try to "get there first" only to be told each and every time that the ones still showing in inventory and physically on the shelves were "claimed". I couldn't even get the model I wanted so it looks insanely out of place in my all black/silver build with my now all WHITE gpu. The Scalper did provide a copy of the receipt for RMA purposes with his personal info excluded. The receipt is literally from the Sharonville Microcenter where I shop and was even dated on the last day I tried to race up there to get one, when I was told that despite 17 different branded 3070's showing in stock, I was not allowed to purchase one of them. It costed me $200 extra and disgusts me every time I look at the build now, because of what I went through, and because it does not match. I will ALWAYS feel that Microcenter should 1: Swap my GPU with the model I wanted (mine is even valued higher than the one I wanted) and 2: should be required to give me $200 in store credit for my terrible experience and for me proving that despite everything you claimed, you still sold to scalpers. I also feel that inventory should be added the night BEFORE the store opens (not upon delivery but the next day) so that EVERYONE, including those of us with jobs and responsibilities have a fair chance to camp out in front of the store KNOWING there will be stock and that if we made it early enough, camping out that day isn't a waste of our time.

• steelaw
    Options
    I totally agree with you on having the stock in the night before.this way everyone can see what's in stock and get a fair chance at a card.so those that go to the store the night before to line up can actually see how many people are in line whether it's worth it or not to wait on how many people are there and how many cards are in stock I had to line up in front of the store 3 hours before it opened on a cold February morning and and they only had  3 6800xt stock I was lucky to get one because I was first in line.a lot of us have jobs and can't wait hours or days in a row in front of the stores just to get a good card.
  • tfamaze
    Options

Jeez, some of you are a rather entitled bunch. If you don't like how microcenter is doing business, tell them then take your business elsewhere. They aren't obligated to give you the model you want or give you $200 to subsidize your decision to buy from a scalper. I will 100% agree with those of you arguing that their inventory system is almost archaic at best, but their anti-scalping system (for GPUs) is actually fairly good at least. You also certainly don't need to get there before they open to get a GPU. It is more about luck than anything. My friend got a 3070 at about 30 minutes before close when we just stumbled across it while going there for a 5600x. There was also a 3090 in stock at the time too. This was notably at the Sharonville Microcenter since that one was explicitly mentioned as being impossible to get cards. So yea... sucks you had a bad experience, but they have improved their system greatly, and it is almost delusional to think otherwise. The voucher system is an extremely welcome change from earlier systems especially with covid still being around.

• steelaw
    Options
    It's not luck of the  draw there is only a limited supply so if you don't get to the store before it opens there's going to be none at all. I live in New York City a highly dense populated area and there were 30 people behind me trying to get video cards too and all the store had was three.
  • LookMaNoHands
    Options

Can Microcenter provide an online reservation system, similar to how video game companies offer?

I also can't spend time outside a store, time is money.... specially during these unprecedented times.

• JJOP
    Options

Please tell me where being frustrated with not being able to purchase something needed in order to actually function trying to do business at home is being rather "entitled"? Obviously Micro Center would rather they have the product in stock and actually sell the things. But this discussion thread is straight trash. Why not "discuss" it when people actually have them? Then we get to endure online trolls coming in and mislabeling a large group of people as entitled and then dance around the word delusional just adds to the frustration.

• tfamaze
    tfamaze
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2021
    Options

I wouldn't say I am an online troll. I am a Microcenter customer who waited in line for over 12 hours at the original 3080 release with my friend (the one that recently got the 3070), and he was 1 person away from getting a card. At the time, there was no voucher system. No way to keep track of anything. Everyone just lined up outside the building in cold ass weather and not really caring about general covid care. From that point, Microcenter has improved their policies for this GREATLY in a way that is actually meaningful. I comment that it is delusional because at this point, it is essentially out of Microcenter's hands. They have implemented a system where you can only buy graphics cards once every 3 months enforced by requiring a valid form of identification along with a voucher system that limits covid exposure (when people actually realize how the system works) and requiring in-store purchase only. There is very little more they can do without starting to axe legitimate customers that would like to purchase cards. Microcenter has no way of knowing people's intentions with cards after purchase, and it would be ridiculous to even try to do so. With all of those points combined... yea, it definitely makes you seem entitled to make demands of them for not fixing(?) a situation that they have essentially done as much as they can do resolve. If you would like to blame someone, blame Nvidia, but realistically they aren't at fault either. They are producing GPUs much faster than they did for the 20 series which is likely where projected sales came from. In all actuality, the blame lies with mostly covid causing a massive silicon shortage, an ever increasing crypto currency price, and an increased interest in home office components and expendable income (also caused by covid).

• WSmith
    Options

OK so I'm new to the LA area but there's a microcenter nearby. There's no way to get notified when an item will be in stock soon, right? Like, there's no way I can get an email the night before that the next morning vouchers or whatever will be available in-store.

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2021
    Options

There isn't unfortunately, we don't have anything like that in place. My understanding of the general process for a store receiving a shipment for these cards is that the turnover is extremely fast, they're not really getting advanced warning. It's basically a "we'll get some product in and we'll hope there's cards too." At the very least, we can't see from our end here what the stores might be getting in advance, the best way to get the most current or accurate information would be to visit your store if at all possible.

You could also check our thread here, there may be some customers who have been at your local store recently who can give you an idea of what to expect:

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/4542/rtx-3000-series-micro-center-discussion-faq#latest

• JJOP
    Options

I would assume that what they list in stock online as fairly accurate. And you can check by store. But if you do it, anyone can.

• JJOP
    Options

Any shot of getting a GPU anytime soon? Doesn't look like it...

• steelaw
    Options
    Don't count on the website inventory either.its inaccurate.see my post here https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/7721/very-unhappy-customer#latest.

• ZimEatsWaffles
    edited March 2021
    Options

yep.. happened to me on launch too, site said there were at least 20 rtx 3060s at my local store, which is an hour away, and the stock stayed pretty consistent for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Decided to take off from work, drove over, and the first thing the employee tells me is don't ever trust the online inventory, it's never right. They had sold out within the first minute because enough people lined up to wait. If there was only a way to contact the store to ask about stock.. would've saved me the trip.

• JJOP
    Options

Hey! Got any 3060s in stock yet? The big day was weeks ago...

• TSTDavey
    Options

Hello @JJOP and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. With there being challenges for all local retailers to keep GPUs, including the 3060 stocked; its best to visit the store 1-2 hours before they open to have a chance to enter the store to inquiry about if there are 3060's in stock or ask if the store is expecting a inventory truck that day. If they are, hang out in the store until it comes in for a chance at a card.

At this point to get a card or a 3060 from Microcenter, you have to beat the competition. You're up against other GPU costumers who are showing up at the store early and daily waiting for a chance to purchase a GPU from Microcenter.

The other option would be to pay the premium for the card online from Amazon or Newegg. Online the 3060 12gb is going for about $300 more than what it is at Microcenter.

Take a couple of days off from work and come down the store early this week to attempt to get a card.

Good luck

• brofromperu
    Options

Anyone here has any recommendation for what time to stop at the microcenter in either Cambridge MA or North Jersey NJ? Both about 2 hours from me so would like some idea on the time to arrive. Also does the website doesn't update stock if vouchers were given?

Thanks guys

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

I am sorry, we do not have an ETA for re-stocking, these cards come in periodically to each of our stores.

Information on vouchers and other info may be found at https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/7909/limited-availability-product-launch-faq#latest

• brofromperu
    Options

I understand there is no ETA but what i'm trying to figure out let's say some people wait in line on hopes for one. Do I need to get there by 5am to be in the first group if any vouchers are given? if so i may have to look at an air bnb instead of waking up at 2am and drive to a store? you know what i mean?

• cbzeej
    Options

Is there a "community" list that's implemented at the Tustin location? Last I heard from the community there is that we have to show up before 6 am and "check-in". If you don't get a card that day, you have to come back at 9 pm later that night and " check-in" again and again at 6 am. Is this still happening? is it no longer a first-come-first-serve situation? Also, are people that are banned from getting vouchers still allowed to hire someone from TaskRabbit, or any other way, and have them purchase a card as well? I'm just trying to make sure I know what I'm looking at in order to purchase a card for my kid.

• spkay31
    Options

Second on this for the Cambridge MA store location. Interested in Ryzen 5600x CPU and Nvidia RTX 3000 or AMD RX 6000 cards. Since the drive is nearly an hour for me I would prefer to come on a day with a higher likelihood of being successful. Any info from others who may have had success in the AM would be appreciated!

Cheers,

-Scott

• brofromperu
    Options

Quick question saw a few GPU available around 8am at the Cambridge store at around 9am said sold out. Store doesn't open until 10. Does it mean it was sold to whoever got a ticket/stayed in line? or just a mistake on the website?

• JS_MC
    Options

Due to the way that vouchers are processed, the way that GPUs appear on the website may vary depending on how the store handles the process. In most cases and under normal circumstances if the inventory is changing before the store opens, it is due to the store performing inventory and correcting the current counts in-stock.

I'd recommend visiting your local store to speak with an associate about this specific occurrence.

• Eli1991
    Options

what day is a regular day you guys get inventory trucks i was told Tuesday's is that the only days? trying to take another day off to try to grab a card.

• TSTDavey
    Options

@Eli1991 just chiming in. I wouldn't take a day off yet. If you don't work weekends, visit the store on your normal day off. A BYO salesman can tell you the best days to come to their store during the week early for a card.

Every store is different, but usually its Tuesday through Saturday for inventory.

Best to visit the store first on your normal day off, then plan from there.

• Eli1991
    Options

yeah I went Tuesday morning waited in line from around 5am to 8am then worker came out and said truck had mechanical issues and wouldn't make it in so I missed out that day but didn't get a chance to ask what days trucks come.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

We do not have an ETA / recommended day for re-stocking unfortunately. It will vary.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99