Random Selection Process and FAQ [Updated 4/1/22]

JS_MC
JS_MC admin
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
edited August 2022 in Past News and Updates

Hello all,

Exciting news!

As of 3/2/22 Micro Center will no longer require entry in the virtual line or raffle system to purchase a GPU! Going forward, you may purchase a GPU as you would any similar item.

As of 4/1/22, Micro Center will no longer be implementing a 30 day limit on video card purchases.

Some important information to note:

• Inventory levels listed on our website will be accurate as of 3/2/22
  • Most models of GPUs have been made available to Reserve Now. Please check our website for availability.

We’re thrilled to be able to make these changes! 

If you have any additional questions or feedback, our store team and those of us here in the community are happy to help!

Comments

• So, I drove 8 hrs to westmont and got there ab 4am. My lucky day, happened to be the first day of the random selection beginning. No fault but my own in not looking into it because it was apparently on discord. I just don’t have discord. Anyway, made 5th in line and sat for awhile till I read the notice on the door. My excitement quickly went away. I can’t much imagine folks getting there at 9 and not learning wether or not they are selected until up to ab 10:30 are working that day otherwise. So I’m not sure I see the point in all of it. But they’re trying something and I understand. So I go in and find that 6700xt’s are on the shelf and after meddling around for a bit I decide it’s better than nothing and get it. I regret this decision in less than an hour after leaving the store lol. So my question is, if I return the gpu does my purchase of a gpu within 30 days get reset? And more so, if I’m returning on a day that I somehow may win the “lottery” can my return and purchase of a 30x series be in the same transaction?
  • TSTDavey
    TSTDavey admin
    First Anniversary Micro Center Staff First Comment 5 Likes
    edited June 2021

@Qx7691 just chiming in. So if we're reading you correctly, if you return a GPU within the return period to swap it out for another GPU (if there are cards in stock), yes that is fine. No 30 day rule, because you are returning it within return period and swapping it out for another.

If you return the GPU for a refund because the card is defective and we don't have replacements in stock then technically the 30 day time would still be counting. That being said, if you are trying exchange we just don't have any, speak with an associate in store to see how we can help. It may be best to do an RMA in some cases instead.

We hope this explanation makes sense.

• marbr
    marbr
    First Comment
    edited June 2021

I don't understand how this virtual line is making it more fair. if anything its worse . the hours are the same 11:30 to 12:30 (during most people's working hours) and now its more chance.. I've looking for a card but cant seam to get any because i work during the day and can not be there between those hours. I would like to see micro center provide some weekend hours' for us working people. as it is now its just too risky to call off work and enter a 4affal where I might be selected to get a chance to buy a card. it would be a total loss if I were not selected. i hate to say this but it doesn't look like micro center is looking out for the average employed joe who is looking to buy a card. I'm just saying. truth

• TSNickW
    TSNickW ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited June 2021

Hello @marbr and welcome to the forum. We appreciate the feedback. I feel your pain and am still trying to get my card! My 1080 has been great but it is time for an upgrade.

• So, i have entered the Westmont raffle on 6/18, 6/22, and 6/23, and each time, I never received any confirmation texts or any texts at all from Microcenter. i am able to receive notification texts on my cell phone, and i have double checked that the phone number that I entered is correct. Is there anyone that could help me figure out what the issue is?

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited June 2021

Hi @Ken_Westmont , I'd recommend speaking with an associate in the store about this, as they would be able to further test this with you!

I'll also send you an email to get some more personal information from you. Please expect that from me shortly.

• About 30 minutes after the virtual line has opened, the line will be closed. Shortly after the virtual line has closed, randomly selected customers will receive text notifications to come into the store. Once at the entrance of the store:

How shortly is shortly? I live 30 minutes away and only giving a 10 minute window is crazy if you expect to send out notifications hours later.

• I would expect the 'shortly after' to be about 20-30 minutes. If someone hasn't claimed the card within the 10 minute period, another notification would be sent out.

I hope this explains things!

• @Ken_Westmont what time does the system start there 9? That's my store too I can't get any info
  • TSTDavey
    TSTDavey admin
    First Anniversary Micro Center Staff First Comment 5 Likes
    edited June 2021

@Chris_downers just chiming in. The virtual line for Westmont starts at 9am.

• The local Microcenter at Brooklyn rejected me from using passport as a valid ID since I was travelling and don't have my state ID - are they allowed to do this/is a passport a valid form of ID?

• They told me I needed an ID with an address so I gave them a foreign country driver's license with a foreign address (currently a student studying in the US) and they also rejected me.

• Hello @winj,

I'm sorry to hear that your Passport was rejected. However, that is correct; as stated above, a valid state-issued Driver's License/Identification Card must be presented to receive your voucher.

You're welcome to visit your closest Micro Center and speak with management to see if they are able to find an alternative for your unique situation, and that is what I'd recommend doing.

• Buildo_Fraggins
    edited June 2021
    I was at the unveiling of this new system at the Tustin location for the 3070ti launch and didn’t receive any confirmation texts at all. I have Verizon. After 4 calls with Verizon, I learned I needed to provide the number from which the confirmation texts are sent from (I also found this number is different for at least all the 3 phones with different numbers I tested). Then after a few days of Verizon technicians working on the issue it was finally solved but they didn’t tell me literally anything about what the problem was or how they fixed it. All I know is that this problem can only be fixed by Tier 2 IT support people. Good luck, hope this helps.
  • Good info @Buildo_Fraggins Glad they were able to resolve it for you!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the process.

• If I don’t get a voucher, will I receive a message on my phone?
  • Hello, @Chao Typically a notification will be sent once all cards are claimed. The process does vary a bit from store to store and day to day on this point, so I'd recommend that you've check-in at your local Micro Center!

• Has St. David's started using this procedure? I saw they were undergoing renovations, and would start once those were complete. Thanks!

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited June 2021

Yes, St. David's should be following this procedure. I believe they started earlier this week.

• Surfercano
    edited June 2021

If an Item is not claimed during the daily Lottery/Voucher process, is it available for purchase during regular business hours? I've noticed some of the higher end cards are starting to stay in stock into late in the day and sometimes for days.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs

Yes, they would be. They would not be available for reservation, but would be available to purchase off the shelf in store, if in stock.

• Drove to Microcenter today and there was no raffle. Would’ve been nice if we could get basic communication like, “there are no gpus on the truck today,” for example.
  • Ian
    Ian admin

Thank you for the information, I have heard that some stores do post a sign outside the store / on the front door stating there are no GPUs for the day.

• Are the QR codes assigned by model number or do they only give me the option to get in line for 'something' rare? It could save me a bit of time if I knew that I was not interested in any of the models that arrived today.

How do I sign up for multiple notifications? For example: If I'm looking for a 3070 based card, I am not fussy about the card's brand, and 3070 cards are arriving from multiple brands, how is this handled?

This is an improvement in the sense that I don't physically need to get in line the evening prior, but it is still vague and, other than using QR codes and texting, does not take much advantage of modern technology. It's really hard to tell one's boss that "I won't be coming to work on time again till I buy my video card". Any modern supply system should know what is on the truck as the truck leaves the warehouse dock. At this point notifications could be sent out and a line-up process completed. Hopefully, the arrival timeout is practical from the standpoint of my travel time. If there is a one hour window and my travel time will be 1.5 hours, this process cannot work for me.

And I don't understand why there must be so much urgency to use a reservation. It is not as if Micro Center will be stuck with some obsolete technology in inventory if I don't purchase a card within an hour or two. If something happens and I cannot purchase today, the worst case for Micro Center is that the card will be included in tomorrow's gold rush.

It seems like a waste of gas to require a daily trip to the store ... just in case. (And I hear that gas might be in short supply this summer for various reasons.)

• Ian
    Ian admin
    edited July 2021

Thank you for your input.

It is one QR code for all video cards each day. The limit on time to claim once you have been texted would be a measure to prevent re-sale / scalping of the vouchers or selection.

• KPJ
    KPJ
    First Comment
    edited July 2021

yeah I'm hating this system, I wish I could go into my store order the card I want and I'd even upgrade my cpu tp a 5600x even if it took a while to arrive. After going to patterson 5 times I just newegg shuffle now.

• this is why your system sucks, for days there is a gigabyte rx 6800 sitting in Yonkers, I try using chat, emailing the store manager on the store page which goes to CS not the manager. There is a $15 dollar toill and 40 miles between me and the card and I can't get someone to say hey you have 2 hours to buy the card get here.It's you guys keeping me from overpaying for a 6800

• Hey, @KPJ Thanks for the feedback! I wish that you could do the same thing! However, currently, there is a global silicon shortage and we are not able to keep stock of many cards available on the shelf. Some are available and are in stock on the shelf, however, for the cards that are still in limited supply we are offering this random selection process in order to give all a fair and random chance at getting a card.

I'd recommend visiting your local MC to participate in the selection, then see if there may be any remaining on the shelf. I'd also recommend chatting with the associates in the store. Each of our stores is a bit different and they'll be able to best assist you!

As always, we're happy to help here as well!

• bought a card! off ebay ( guess that cpu can wait.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99