G470 PC has graphics crash and reboot and occasional blue screen. How to find the problem?

The computer is under a year old. It mostly has these crashes on more demanding games like Call of Duty, and other AAA releases. I've fully reinstalled and updated the video drivers, my computer is updated in every format I can think of. I've ran memory checks and they came back clean.

Answers

• Good afternoon @CryWolf13 "

Thank you for contacting micro center. I do apologize you are having issues with the computer. if you have done the reinstallation of the graphics card drivers and done a memory check and the issue is still happening, the only other option you may want to try would be a clean installation of windows as if there is corruption, it would clear this out. if you have done this already, then it may be best to bring it in store to have all the hardware diagnosed for issues.

https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/68-how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-10

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@CryWolf13

Please run this: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview-x64.zip

Post a screenshot, highlight the most recent one. It'll give us a better idea of what's going on.

• CryWolf13
    CryWolf13
    First Comment
    edited May 2023

it only seems to show the most recent one. I have read somewhere that some of the crashes could be due to the memory being ddr4 3600 but the board is rated for ddr4 3200, but I've also heard that this might be inaccurate currently.

As for the graphics cards crash itself and the non-bluescreen crashing, it appears as the screen going black and a random swath of color on the screen.

==================================================

Dump File     : 051723-4828-01.dmp

Crash Time    : 5/17/2023 12:56:44 PM

Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Bug Check Code  : 0x0000003b

Parameter 1    : 00000000`c0000005

Parameter 2    : fffff803`4249e18f

Parameter 3    : ffffd105`80c7e0f0

Parameter 4    : 00000000`00000000

Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe

Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+42b8f0

File Description : NT Kernel & System

Product Name   : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Company      : Microsoft Corporation

File Version   : 10.0.22621.1702 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

Processor     : x64

Crash Address   : ntoskrnl.exe+42b8f0

Stack Address 1  : 

Stack Address 2  : 

Stack Address 3  : 

Computer Name   : 

Full Path     : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051723-4828-01.dmp

Processors Count : 24

Major Version   : 15

Minor Version   : 22621

Dump File Size  : 3,277,034

Dump File Time  : 5/17/2023 12:57:02 PM

==================================================

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@CryWolf13

Was the system reset before this most recent BSOD? If not, it means the previous BSOD's failed to write a log file.

• If you reinstallation of windows, then no, it hasn't been reset yet. I had two more blue screens yesterday while trying to play a game. all three caused by address ntoskrnl.exe+42b8f0

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@CryWolf13

Doesn't mean anything, it's just instability but at least it all points towards hardware. So the bluescreens are not the only problem and it seems the don't usually log. Tells us the drive is inaccessible when whatever is happening, happens. Typically what you're seeing is the screen goes black and the PC restarts? Please describe what you see. Just a black screen then it restarts? What does the audio do? Does it stutter, or loop?

• there are two different types one goes to a straight blue screen and the more common one has the screen go black with a random set of colors like a partial afterimage of the screen. no loop, no stutter just that and a straight reboot. usually happens while gaming, but has happened with nothing but Chrome up. I just tried updating the motherboard chipset drivers, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Also, bluescreen program seems to have picked up another bluescreen with a different cause.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@CryWolf13

BSOD's are just random, they're not telling us much besides the system is unstable and this points toward a failing piece of hardware. The partial afterimage indicates to me the system stops responding and you're just seeing a partial frame buffer on the GPU, but it make me think that's not a likely culprit here at least. When memory becomes unstable it's pretty consistent typically and just BSOD's, though it could look like this. It's the easiest one to rule out.

Run HCI: https://hcidesign.com/memtest/

24 threads, uncheck the lower thread prioritization, it'll run faster. Let it run to 200% and see if we get any errors.

• Yea, I have a feeling it is hardware related. That being said the Memory test came back with no errors. Thanks for the help by the way.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@CryWolf13

Do you have any spare components to swap and test? Like a second NVMe drive we can throw and OS on and test?

• unfortunately no, plus my confidence in not messing something up is very low.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@CryWolf13

It's going to require some diagnostic work to get to the root cause. There are several components in play, I'd bring it in and we'll figure it out.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99