PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 100 Answers 250 Likes

@MrDrew

Screenshot is fine.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@MrDrew

Alright. You're not BSOD'ing. Have you monitored your temps when running the program that most frequently causes the reboots?

• @PowerSpec_MikeW Is there a way to do that where it is recording vs. just watching the hardware monitor? To me, it seems like some voltage spike vs. temp.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@MrDrew

HWINFO64: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Sensors only. There's a logging start button on the bottom that outputs to a CSV file.

• blender
    blender
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 3

Just a tip for anyone experiencing random PC shutdowns out of the blue when doing CPU intensive tasks. (I have a G477)

I have been experiencing random PC shut down while using Blender. Blender if you don't know, it is like Maya/3DSMax and is very power hungry program. I've updated BIOS, underclocked CPU. It would still do it. I've used Cinebench and ran it for like 15 minutes, and FF Dawntrail bench, and it does not cause random PC shutdowns.

In the system log, it always leaves an EVENT 41. It seems to happen when CPU suddenly demands power. So my hypothesis was that the PSU cannot keep up with the sudden demand, and system shuts down because of insufficient power.

The PS that comes with G477 is a Powerspec Gold 850W. I have replaced the PS with a Seasonic 1000W, and the crash does not happen anymore.

So if you are experiencing sudden PC shutdowns, your PS might be to blame. Seasonic is expensive but it made my PC stable.

@Powerspec_MikeW, on a different subject, am I allowed to flash a MSI bios directly from their website for the G477? It is a Z790P Wifi. Or should I just wait for the Powerspec bios update from this site for the latest?

• MrDrew
    MrDrew ✭✭
    10 Comments Name Dropper

Very interesting @blender . At this point, even though I think Microcenter should replace it, I would be willing to buy a new PSU. @Truthbringer has also suggested it might be a PSU issue. I noticed four different Seasonic PSUs on the Microcenter website. Which one did you get?

• blender
    blender
    edited October 3

I got the 1000W Seasonic one. Forgot which variant. Problem with the PSU that was in mine is that it works fine, runs Cinebench fine, so I don't think MC will be able to pinpoint the PSU as the issue of the random non BSOD reboots. Even if they did, they probably will replace it with the same one. So I replaced the PSU out of my own pocket. Also 1000W PSU should be enough for a more powerful video card that will come out next year. I learned that not all PSU's are created equal. There is a reason why one is 90 dollars and the other one is 250 dollars.

• @blender I thought about paying for an Upgraded PSU when I bought my PC but took a chance. They will install parts for free on a new PC. I mostly game and so far PowerSpec 850 has been fine for that. I figure maybe after my warranty is up in a year I may do a PSU swap. It seems by reviews for the PowerSoec PSUs some are fine and some have problems so there is a chance a swap with same brand would have been fine. Getting the upgraded model is a better option tho for you are right there is a difference in quality and reliability.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW

@blender

No issue with installing the MSI BIOS. Just watch the fan settings on the 205 chassis. You won't get our automatic driver updates, but it'll work fine otherwise.

Regarding the PSU, it's faulty, we'll replace it. This system under heavy load should load to 70% roughly. We test the PSU's at 100% load.

• MrDrew
    MrDrew ✭✭
    10 Comments Name Dropper

I just took my machine apart in prep to replace the PSU. I still have a weird feeling about the whole ordeal. Oddly, I tried to crash it yesterday while tracking sensors with HWInfo @PowerSpec_MikeW but it did not crash. It usually crashes anytime I do 3D in the architecture program.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited October 4

@MrDrew

Unfortunately this seems to happen more than statistically possible with these intermittent issues we all dread so much.

• blender
    blender
    edited October 6

So far, I have not gotten the unexpected shutdowns with the new Seasonic PSU and I've been doing the same tasks for couple of weeks.

Now I'm now 99pct sure that the new PSU will correct it with EVENT41 non BSOD shutdowns. Don't cheap out on PSU's. Also don't be lazy and reuse the cables.

• MrDrew
    MrDrew ✭✭
    10 Comments Name Dropper

Good input about the cables too!

• MrDrew
    MrDrew ✭✭
    10 Comments Name Dropper

Mine just rebooted during 3D. I thought for sure we'd have the logs. But it appears the last entry was 3:27PM and the crash happened at 3:29PM so it is missing the closest log. Anything look suspicious leading up to it @PowerSpec_MikeW ? Change file back to CSV.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@MrDrew

Means it didn't log anything, which indicates PSU/VRM. It's an intermittent power loss. PSU is the best place to start.

• Any updates on official PowerSpec Bios for 0x12B for MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI? I just downloaded the Beta one when it was released but have been keeping an eye if there will be official PowerSpec one.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99