G358 Black Screen issues

Options
Gabru392
Gabru392
Name Dropper First Comment
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
Hello,

I bought a open box g358 about 3 days ago, and I’ve been having issues with a black screen at random. It happened 3 times the second night as I was playing warzone, and it happened again while I was just browsing chrome. I updated the display driver and the AMD driver as well, and it happened again after just once. Once the black screen comes up, there is no mouse cursor, I can’t pull up the task manager either. Is this a common issue or what can I do to resolve this?

Comments

• JS_MC
    Options
    I think you're right to think this is a graphics driver issue.  Could you press Ctrl + R and type in "msinfo32" and send a screenshot of the summary page that comes up so we can see the BIOS version you have?

We'd recommend trying this as well.

1. Get Display driver uninstaller from Guru3d

2. Restart your machine in safe mode.

3. Wipe ALL AMD graphics drivers.

4. Restart the machine in normal mode.

5. Download AMD driver 19.12.1 from Guru3d

AMD Radeon Adrenaline Edition 19.12.1 driver download

6 Here is the important part - Choose "custom install"

The installer will try to get you to download the latest drivers so make sure you select 19.12.1

Now in the install screen, there will be features checked to install.

Make sure everything is UNCHECKED except the DRIVER ONLY

Then restart the machine.

Also, make sure that the graphic drivers are NOT set to automatically update.

I think it's to do with some of the settings from the Radeon Software. Please let me know if this works for you!
  • Gabru392
    Gabru392
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2021
    Options
  • Gabru392
    Options
    LandShark said:
    I think you're right to think this is a graphics driver issue.  Could you press Ctrl + R and type in "msinfo32" and send a screenshot of the summary page that comes up so we can see the BIOS version you have?

We'd recommend trying this as well.

1. Get Display driver uninstaller from Guru3d

2. Restart your machine in safe mode.

3. Wipe ALL AMD graphics drivers.

4. Restart the machine in normal mode.

5. Download AMD driver 19.12.1 from Guru3d

AMD Radeon Adrenaline Edition 19.12.1 driver download

6 Here is the important part - Choose "custom install"

The installer will try to get you to download the latest drivers so make sure you select 19.12.1

Now in the install screen, there will be features checked to install.

Make sure everything is UNCHECKED except the DRIVER ONLY

Then restart the machine.

Also, make sure that the graphic drivers are NOT set to automatically update.

I think it's to do with some of the settings from the Radeon Software. Please let me know if this works for you!
    I have attached the image 
  • Ian
    Options
    Thank you for that, we would like to check another setting within the AMD software:
    1. Open AMD Adrenaline software
    2. Click the Gear Icon at Top Right Corner
    3. Click Graphics Tab
    4. There will be four boxes in the middle. Which one are you set to? Have you ever changed this option?

• Gabru392
    Options
    I always keep at standard and never change it
    Thank you for that, we would like to check another setting within the AMD software:
    1. Open AMD Adrenaline software
    2. Click the Gear Icon at Top Right Corner
    3. Click Graphics Tab
    4. There will be four boxes in the middle. Which one are you set to? Have you ever changed this option?

• TSTDavey
    Options
    Just chiming in @Gabru392 understood you don't change the AMD software settings. Lets try going into Device Manager and uninstalling the 5700XT, delete the drivers as well. Restart the computer and download/install the 5700 xt drivers. Make sure your power options are set to "High Performance". Test the card by launching and playing COD. Launch chrome as well to see if you get the black screen. If you continue to get the black screen, let us know. We'll need to create a ticket and you'll need to bring the powerspec back to the store as you most likely have a defective 5700 XT.
  • Gabru392
    Options
    TSTDavey said:
    Just chiming in @Gabru392 understood you don't change the AMD software settings. Lets try going into Device Manager and uninstalling the 5700XT, delete the drivers as well. Restart the computer and download/install the 5700 xt drivers. Make sure your power options are set to "High Performance". Test the card by launching and playing COD. Launch chrome as well to see if you get the black screen. If you continue to get the black screen, let us know. We'll need to create a ticket and you'll need to bring the powerspec back to the store as you most likely have a defective 5700 XT.
    Hey so I did all of that and it still ended up showing me that black screen right as I opened COD.  Do I take it straight back to microcenter or wait for you guys to make a ticket?
  • Gabru392
    Options
    TSTDavey said:
    I just opened COD again after doing everything you said and it gave me the black screen twice now
  • Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Would you be alright with trying a clean install of Windows and testing after a clean install?

Keep in mind, this would clean all data / programs from the PC. So if needed, here is a guide on how to backup and restore data: https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/111-backup-and-restore-data-in-windows-10

To do the clean install:
    You would want to download Windows directly from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Here are our guides on making an installation drive, if needed:
    https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/77-how-to-create-a-windows-10-installation-flash-drive-from-a-windows-10-pc

and here is how to do a clean install:
    https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/68-how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-10

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99