RTX 3000 Series Micro Center Discussion & FAQ!

Options

Comments

• Snewpy
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    Ghukek said:
    Saeroh said:
    I honestly believe that Nvidia is inflating the hype right now. Im gonna just head on by at 8 am or something. Honestly doubt there will be that huge of a line considering this is a $700+ GPU and also its on a thursday morning.  
    Yeah it's hard to predict. More of the people dedicated enough to camp out from midnight are probably going for the 3090, although I heard one guy say he would go for 3080 and if he didn't get it then he'd try again the next week.

It's game theory here. If you think most people are getting there around 8 then you should get there a few minutes earlier than that, but what about the people who think most people are getting there by 8? Show up at midnight to be first in line but the last person that shows up and gets a card came in after 8 then you just wasted 8 hours. 

No matter what time you choose to come in, make sure you stay warm and safe and respect those around you.
    Well he's going to be disappointed tomorrow if he wants the 3090, because the 3090 doesn't release until the 24th. 

For anybody who hasn't been watching, reviews have gone up for the 3080s today. I'm personally a fan of Gamers Nexus because they're very thorough with their reviews and I'd highly recommend watching them 

https://youtu.be/oTeXh9x0sUc

As was suspected, the 3080 is definitely a performance uplift at 4k and 1440p, but NVIDIA was definitely hyping things up with the "up to 2x performance" advertising. In normal rasterization scenarios it looks like it's about ~25% performance increase over the 2080ti, and about ~50% over the 2080 Super at 4k/1440p give or take depending on the title, but those percentages can vary quite a lot. And if you're playing at 1080p, it's not really necessary to have a card like this in the first place. The RTX/DLSS performance is definitely a huge leap forward, but you won't see 2x performance over the 2080 consistently it, looks like heavily it depends on the title. About what I expected, marketing material always targets the best-case scenario and curates examples to make things look as good as possible. Still a pretty significant leap in performance for this generation for high resolution gaming overall it seems. 

Lastly, for everybody still checking back here for updates about vouchers and being the first to get cards, the FAQ is what information we have. At this point I cannot speak definitively on voucher-style systems for those who are coming early to get video cards. I can only recommend if at all possible to check directly with your local store by going there and asking them. 

Went to my local store and asked, the guys working there were so tired of the constant questions involving the 3080 that they were already walking away from me at even the slightest mention of the card haha.
  • clementk
    Options
    that's what happens when you say something and everyone asks questions and then just keep ignoring it xD
  • Anyone plan on stopping by the Dallas location today to see what the gameplan is there?
    Yeah, I am going to the Dallas location later tonight after work. I will relay this information. Wish you luck! 
  • shinfo44
    Options
    Snewpy said:
    TSTonyV said:
    Ghukek said:
    Saeroh said:
    I honestly believe that Nvidia is inflating the hype right now. Im gonna just head on by at 8 am or something. Honestly doubt there will be that huge of a line considering this is a $700+ GPU and also its on a thursday morning.  
    Yeah it's hard to predict. More of the people dedicated enough to camp out from midnight are probably going for the 3090, although I heard one guy say he would go for 3080 and if he didn't get it then he'd try again the next week.

It's game theory here. If you think most people are getting there around 8 then you should get there a few minutes earlier than that, but what about the people who think most people are getting there by 8? Show up at midnight to be first in line but the last person that shows up and gets a card came in after 8 then you just wasted 8 hours. 

No matter what time you choose to come in, make sure you stay warm and safe and respect those around you.
    Well he's going to be disappointed tomorrow if he wants the 3090, because the 3090 doesn't release until the 24th. 

For anybody who hasn't been watching, reviews have gone up for the 3080s today. I'm personally a fan of Gamers Nexus because they're very thorough with their reviews and I'd highly recommend watching them 

https://youtu.be/oTeXh9x0sUc

As was suspected, the 3080 is definitely a performance uplift at 4k and 1440p, but NVIDIA was definitely hyping things up with the "up to 2x performance" advertising. In normal rasterization scenarios it looks like it's about ~25% performance increase over the 2080ti, and about ~50% over the 2080 Super at 4k/1440p give or take depending on the title, but those percentages can vary quite a lot. And if you're playing at 1080p, it's not really necessary to have a card like this in the first place. The RTX/DLSS performance is definitely a huge leap forward, but you won't see 2x performance over the 2080 consistently it, looks like heavily it depends on the title. About what I expected, marketing material always targets the best-case scenario and curates examples to make things look as good as possible. Still a pretty significant leap in performance for this generation for high resolution gaming overall it seems. 

Lastly, for everybody still checking back here for updates about vouchers and being the first to get cards, the FAQ is what information we have. At this point I cannot speak definitively on voucher-style systems for those who are coming early to get video cards. I can only recommend if at all possible to check directly with your local store by going there and asking them. 

Went to my local store and asked, the guys working there were so tired of the constant questions involving the 3080 that they were already walking away from me at even the slightest mention of the card haha.
    I am actually pretty sure that they are just as aware of everything as us at this point, lol. The only extra information they probably know is what time they will show up to work.

• FallenDeity93
    Options
    Anyone plan on stopping by the Dallas location today to see what the gameplan is there?
    Yeah, I am going to the Dallas location later tonight after work. I will relay this information. Wish you luck! 
    Thanks! 
  • clementk
    Options
    who is planning on going to the Houston store?
  • Linfang
    Options
    Is anyone planning to camp up at Madison Heights, MI? I have an hour drive there I can't get anyone to answer the phones I want to know if I can wait and how early can I arrive be it midnight or 7 am I don't care. Also will they hand out a voucher or ticket if you are in line? Going to be a cold night!
  • AntzC
    Options
    Wonder how many people are going to show up at the paterson location since its then only store in jersey
  • shinfo44
    Options
    Ok, so there are a lot of "my uncle works at Microcetner" types of posts going on right now on reddit and here. Can anyone here honestly verify if people are already lining up? Maybe with a picture or something? I am most concerned about the Houston store. Someone said "they are already handing out vouchers", which I doubt it true. I fully believe it is some people's ill intent to dissuade people from showing up at stores they want to go to by posting misinformation online.

I don't care if people are already lining or not, but I would much rather take my chances at home hitting F5 all day if things are already looking not good.

• Planman said:
    Anyone going to be at the Dallas location?
    I am!, still trying to figure out what time to arrive. Tried calling today for more info, couldnt't get anyone on the phone so I texted the store. Hopefully they get a decent amount in! 

I plan on going.. I am not sure what time.. We are thinking to get a hotel tonight and get up there stupid early.. I live in Fort Worth soo.

• clementk
    Options
    shinfo44 said:
    Ok, so there are a lot of "my uncle works at Microcetner" types of posts going on right now on reddit and here. Can anyone here honestly verify if people are already lining up? Maybe with a picture or something? I am most concerned about the Houston store. Someone said "they are already handing out vouchers", which I doubt it true. I fully believe it is some people's ill intent to dissuade people from showing up at stores they want to go to by posting misinformation online.

I don't care if people are already lining or not, but I would much rather take my chances at home hitting F5 all day if things are already looking not good.

I messaged the Houston Nr and they just sent me the FAQ so I don't think that it's true.
  • Anyone going to be at the Dallas location?
    Yeah Im going.. What time are you planning on going?
  • elcid_777
    Options
    Well, at this point, I guess those who are commiting to showing up at Micro Center should prepare for a total shit show. We are less than 24 hours away and all they can say is refer to the FAQ which essentially answers nothing.  Everyone is contradicting everyone, most of the bs reports of lines alresdy going and vouchers being handed out to dissuade people...smh. Absolute shit show. Thanks Nvidia!!
  • elcid_777
    Options
    So much damn mystery and general ridiculousness surrounding this launch...I might just wait because this is a joke.
  • elcid_777 said:
    Well, at this point, I guess those who are commiting to showing up at Micro Center should prepare for a total shit show. We are less than 24 hours away and all they can say is refer to the FAQ which essentially answers nothing.  Everyone is contradicting everyone, most of the bs reports of lines alresdy going and vouchers being handed out to dissuade people...smh. Absolute shit show. Thanks Nvidia!!
    What location are you hearing this from?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 ✭✭
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Do not believe one word from anyone on this forum or on reddit, unless it's from Tony.   Wait for the official word from Microcenter.  Alot of people are full of crap on this forum.  It's all a game to try to stir the pot so people don't go out early.  
  • floydian022
    Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure at this point that MC's mindset is that they already 1000% know they're going to sell out of every 3080 card they have on day one anyway, no matter what.  So the less information they give about camping/vouchers/lining up early at stores, the better.  Doing so at all would immediately be interpreted as encouraging/officially condoning it(and they definitely don't want to risk any liability on that front, esp during COVID), and would only increase the already-inevitable number of disappointed folks who will go away empty-handed and wishing they'd just stayed home and set up a free autoclicker to hit F5 on their browser for them instead.
  • shinfo44
    Options
    elcid_777 said:

I think you are misreading, he is saying that there are people posting non-confirmable reports of people waiting and getting vouchers. I am mainly getting my information from a reddit thread, but it looks like it was removed because the guy was spreading false information, more than likely. There are even people here going "lol people are camping out already!" that was posted yesterday, but I highly doubt that is the case.

I'm just going to take my chances. If I show up tomorrow, and it doesn't look good, I will gladly turn around and F5 instead. I'm already setting myself up for heartbreak just in case.

• shinfo44
    Options
    Do not believe one word from anyone on this forum or on reddit, unless it's from Tony.   Wait for the official word from Microcenter.  Alot of people are full of crap on this forum.  It's all a game to try to stir the pot so people don't go out early.  

I agree.
  • clementk said:
    Im going to be in Houston to night!
  • Duff2087
    Options
    Good luck to all the 3080 buyers tonight; I'm preparing for a long wait next week myself and plan on waiting from around midnight to open at least.
  • clementk
    Options
    Just wanted to let the people know I was just at MC in Houston and they just said to wait in line and when they open they will tell the people how many they have and let the people in that they have stock for. They don't know the stock amount yet. 
  • Duff2087
    Options
    clementk said:
    Just wanted to let the people know I was just at MC in Houston and they just said to wait in line and when they open they will tell the people how many they have and let the people in that they have stock for. They don't know the stock amount yet. 
    They're lining you up already? Yikes, that's quite the wait.
  • shinfo44
    Options
    Sawyers02 said:
    clementk said:
    Im going to be in Houston to night!

Would appreciate any reports of what the line is looking like if you can. I plan on going to Houston as well, but I want to make sure my chances are "good" by the time I wake up and try to go early tomorrow. If it isn't looking too promising, I would rather stay home and try my luck instead.
  • clementk
    Options
    Duff2087 said:
    clementk said:
    No lines yet

• shinfo44
    Options
    Duff2087 said:
    clementk said:

You are misreading. He is not saying there is a line. The instructions were to just wait in line when one forms.
  • clementk
    Options
    Duff2087 said:
    clementk said:
    He just said to line up tomorrow moring or when ever people start lining up
  • elcid_777
    elcid_777 ✭✭
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Options
    elcid_777 said:
    Tustin,CA but this speaking in general about all the rumors appearing on here and places like reddit about lines and vouchers being given out, especially on reddit. Some are reporting that people are already lining up and camped outside to dissuade others from going.
  • cucuchu
    Options
    On the other thread, someone was notified that the Marietta, GA store won't be getting any 3080's in for tomorrow. Not sure what to make of that, I know some of us will be checking in with other stores in the next few hours.
  • elcid_777
    Options
    Yep, exactly. Don't be fooled into believing everything people report on here or reddit, folks. Lot of selfish people trying to dissuade people from going to the stores on release. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99