RTX 3000 Series Micro Center Discussion & FAQ!

Options

Comments

• Duff2087
    Options
    Patches said:
    Skeebo said:
    Patches said:
    I'm hoping to get one from the Mayfield heights store in Ohio on release day, not sure what time to get there. Hoping lines don't form too early. 

Yea I'll be going to the Mayfield location as well. Not to sure how early yet.
    PAAAAANNNNIIICCCC
    Just kidding, I'm planning on getting there early but nothing night before. Hope they have enough stock for all of us.
    Let me know, I think I'm going for the 3090 next week and have Thursday off so if need be, I'll get there as early as it takes haha
  • Skeebo
    Options
    Patches said:
    Skeebo said:
    Patches said:
    I'm hoping to get one from the Mayfield heights store in Ohio on release day, not sure what time to get there. Hoping lines don't form too early. 

Yea I'll be going to the Mayfield location as well. Not to sure how early yet.
    PAAAAANNNNIIICCCC
    Just kidding, I'm planning on getting there early but nothing night before. Hope they have enough stock for all of us.

Yea I'm hoping there isn't a bunch of people who camped out when I get there haha.
  • cucuchu
    Options
    NVIDIA discord has someone claiming they checked in w/ Rockville, MD and was told there will be no 3080's on Thursday and then asked in Fairfax and he was told there were. Not sure how that is possible if MC doesn't know their stock yet...or its people just saying things similar to 'people are already camped outside MC's' just cause someone will believe them. Or just trying to spread misinformation so people don't show up. Who knows...this entire 30XX series release has been weird.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    cucuchu said:
    NVIDIA discord has someone claiming they checked in w/ Rockville, MD and was told there will be no 3080's on Thursday and then asked in Fairfax and he was told there were. Not sure how that is possible if MC doesn't know their stock yet...or its people just saying things similar to 'people are already camped outside MC's' just cause someone will believe them. Or just trying to spread misinformation so people don't show up. Who knows...this entire 30XX series release has been weird.

It's people that don't know jack and are trying to spread misinformation.
  • Duff2087
    Options
    cucuchu said:

It's people that don't know jack and are trying to spread misinformation.
    Agreed, I've heard so many differing stories that I'd just go by the store's Twitter and site post instead of looking at everyone's "sources"
  • elcid_777
    Options
    cucuchu said:
    Yup, this has been the strangest release I've seen in a long time...or ever for that matter. A little over 24 hours away from launch day and nothing new from any retailer. Micro Center is not handling this properly, imo, and it will show when the sh1t show begins across the MC stores nationwide on the 17th. Hope I'm wrong.
  • cucuchu
    cucuchu ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    Options
    elcid_777 said:
    cucuchu said:
    Yup, this has been the strangest release I've seen in a long time...or ever for that matter. A little over 24 hours away from launch day and nothing new from any retailer. Micro Center is not handling this properly, imo, and it will show when the sh1t show begins across the MC stores nationwide on the 17th. Hope I'm wrong.
    Agreed but it might not be MC's fault. Take it for what its worth but here is a statement from Central Computers (Bay area store), stating they expect to have 3080's for sale during initial release but maybe not the actual release day:
    "Hello,

We are excited for the Nvidia 30 series release. However, we do have a couple of updates for you about the upcoming release and stock of these GPUs. Nvidia has listed Central Computers as a partnered vendor and we will be able to get allocation of these GPUs during the initial release. However, the situation has been very chaotic, and we are still trying to find out precise amount that we’ll have to sell. So, any plans for release on launch day at all Central Computer stores are pending from suppliers. In the meantime, please do not make plans to be first in line at any of our stores on launch day.

Please refer to our notifications list at https://www.centralcomputer.com/nvidia-30-series-information for the latest updates and news on the 30 series GPU at Central Computers."

So it just looks like a lot of stores are in the dark on the inventory they will receive, if any. There is a chance that we don't see any 3080's/3090's being sold at some of the typical brick and mortar stores that would usually supply them for a couple of weeks. I'll be asking the folks at the Rockville, MD location tomorrow evening to see what the situation is and if they tell me they don't have any, I'll probably try my luck online. I think we all just need to prepare for the possibility that the supply is EXTREMELY limited across all vendors.

• Conrad
    Options
    Conrad said:
    Anyone going to the Cincinnati location on Thursday? I'm torn between sleeping in my car overnight or showing up at 7 a.m 
    I think you might want to get there much earlier than 7 AM. Just look at the lines for the 3### CPUs.
    Can you elaborate more on this, please? I told one of my buddies today I was considering sleeping in my car and he said he didn't think there would be crazy lines or dedicated people camping out. I remember back in college when one of the CODS came out there were 100 yard lines of people outside Gamestop for the midnight release lol. 
  • Conrad
    Options
    SikSol said:
    Conrad said:
    Anyone going to the Cincinnati location on Thursday? I'm torn between sleeping in my car overnight or showing up at 7 a.m 
    I might be, debating on Cincy or Cbus. Not sure which would be the best bet and yet to get ahold of either to get an idea of what they are planning or possible stock. Pretty bummed will not be any FE cards though.
    Agreed, bummer about the Founder's Editions for sure. I'm crossing my fingers and operating on the assumption that as long as I'm there early enough, there will be enough ASUS 3080's for me to get one of them haha. We'll see what happens, fingers crossed! 
  • Planman
    Options
    Conrad said:
    SikSol said:
    Conrad said:
    I might be, debating on Cincy or Cbus. Not sure which would be the best bet and yet to get ahold of either to get an idea of what they are planning or possible stock. Pretty bummed will not be any FE cards though.
    Agreed, bummer about the Founder's Editions for sure. I'm crossing my fingers and operating on the assumption that as long as I'm there early enough, there will be enough ASUS 3080's for me to get one of them haha. We'll see what happens, fingers crossed! 
    But how early is early enough? That's the question lol. Stores open at 10, I'm thinking of arriving between 7-8am would give me a pretty good shot at a card
  • Shibumi
    Options
    Planman said:
    Conrad said:
    SikSol said:
    Conrad said:
    But how early is early enough? That's the question lol. Stores open at 10, I'm thinking of arriving between 7-8am would give me a pretty good shot at a card
    Unfortunately I don’t think 7am is going to be anywhere near early enough. I have a feeling I’m going to have get there by midnight. 
  • Saeroh
    Options
    I honestly believe that Nvidia is inflating the hype right now. Im gonna just head on by at 8 am or something. Honestly doubt there will be that huge of a line considering this is a $700+ GPU and also its on a thursday morning.  
  • kishinfoulux
    Options
    Worst case scenario I try again next week with the 3090. >_>
  • Ghukek
    Options
    Saeroh said:
    I honestly believe that Nvidia is inflating the hype right now. Im gonna just head on by at 8 am or something. Honestly doubt there will be that huge of a line considering this is a $700+ GPU and also its on a thursday morning.  
    Yeah it's hard to predict. More of the people dedicated enough to camp out from midnight are probably going for the 3090, although I heard one guy say he would go for 3080 and if he didn't get it then he'd try again the next week.

It's game theory here. If you think most people are getting there around 8 then you should get there a few minutes earlier than that, but what about the people who think most people are getting there by 8? Show up at midnight to be first in line but the last person that shows up and gets a card came in after 8 then you just wasted 8 hours. 

No matter what time you choose to come in, make sure you stay warm and safe and respect those around you.
  • Shibumi said:
    Planman said:
    Conrad said:
    SikSol said:
    Conrad said:
    Unfortunately I don’t think 7am is going to be anywhere near early enough. I have a feeling I’m going to have get there by midnight. 
    Yeah i'm gonna head over to CBUS at 8 or 9 probably
  • Felicity
    Options
    Ghukek said:
    Saeroh said:
    Yeah it's hard to predict. More of the people dedicated enough to camp out from midnight are probably going for the 3090, although I heard one guy say he would go for 3080 and if he didn't get it then he'd try again the next week.

It's game theory here. If you think most people are getting there around 8 then you should get there a few minutes earlier than that, but what about the people who think most people are getting there by 8? Show up at midnight to be first in line but the last person that shows up and gets a card came in after 8 then you just wasted 8 hours. 

No matter what time you choose to come in, make sure you stay warm and safe and respect those around you.
    I can't even figure out any prediction for this or Bayes' it because there's no good precedent :/ i even looked around for everything considering chip production problems or the like
    my one conclusion was "Buying online is a mistake if you don't try in store first, even day 1 orders might get delayed weeks or cancelled outright from any store"

for Tustin it's going to be 92F and a 66 low so i dont think cali has to worry about that except maybe catching on fire :c
  • Planman
    Options
    Ghukek said:
    Saeroh said:

I mean there are some advantages to being first though, you get first shot at the cards, so if your store was lucky enough to get more than one manufacture in you would be able to select which varient you prefer. 
  • Ghukek
    Options
    Planman said:
    Ghukek said:
    Saeroh said:

I mean there are some advantages to being first though, you get first shot at the cards, so if your store was lucky enough to get more than one manufacture in you would be able to select which varient you prefer. 
    Yeah I almost mentioned that as a factor but that only changes it from the last person to get a card to the last person to get your first choice card. Ultimately the point is that it's impossible to tell either way... That's why it's a game. You're competing with an unknown number of people all showing up at unknown times for an unknown number of cards (either overall or your preference thereof). That's a lot of factors. Good luck with your choices, I wish everybody here the best.
  • I feel like this is going to turn in to Thunder Dome "Many buyers enter, One Buyer leaves" 
  • punkinboy
    Options
    I just hope we all remember to be kind and respectful of each other and MicroCenter employees - and follow CDC pandemic guidelines. Yes, we all want these cards (I literally just bought everything for my first build, just need this card), but at the end of the day we’re all in it together and the world is harsh enough right now. Kindness can go a long way these days :)
  • kishinfoulux
    kishinfoulux ✭✭
    First Comment 5 Likes
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Some reviews are now live. Personally waiting for Digital Foundry, but Gamers Nexus has their video up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmNL2Cg2OO8
    *edit* Looks like DF IS up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7FlXu9dAMU&feature=youtu.be
  • AntzC
    Options
    Benchmarks look great
  • kishinfoulux
    Options
    For someone like me who is jumping to this from a 1080ti (well also just building a whole new PC) this will be a HUGE upgrade.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    AntzC said:
    Benchmarks look great
    Yep, about a 30% performance increase.
    What's really crazy is the benchmark for the 2080ti at 1080p is the SAME FPS as the 3080 at 1440.
    That is unreal.
  • kishinfoulux
    Options
    AntzC said:
    Benchmarks look great
    Yep, about a 30% performance increase.
    What's really crazy is the benchmark for the 2080ti at 1080p is the SAME FPS as the 3080 at 1440.
    That is unreal.
    Even though I plan on running most stuff at 4k this thing will be an absolute 1440p monster. People with Ultrawide 1440p monitors I imagine will be very pleased.
  • punkinboy
    Options
    Yeah I just got a 1440p 144hz monitor for my setup. Super happy with the benchmarks.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    So did anyone drive by a MC and see a bunch of people already waiting in line? ;)
  • Ghukek
    Options
    So did anyone drive by a MC and see a bunch of people already waiting in line? ;)
    My buddy who lives near Cambridge stopped by this morning to check for me (I'm over an hour away) and nobody yet.
  • Duff2087
    Options
    I doubt they'll allow people to camp out before they're getting ready to close what with COVID and all.
  • SikSol
    Options
    Hopefully we can get some kind of idea about possible stock or something from MC today, less than 24hr from launch they have to be getting some more info soon. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99