AMD Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 Series Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Nothing in stock for Tustin, I was having the same messages with the 5900x. It showed limited availability and out of stock each time I reloaded the page.
  • Brad_Isnard
    Options
    Drove 30 minutes to the OP, KS store, because it said limited availability for 5900X. BYOPC associate just looked at me like I was stupid and said "No, we don't have those" when I asked if they had it. I mean, really? Is it my fault I can't trust YOUR website?
  • skulman03
    Options
    Does anyone know when they will get more 5800’s at the tustin location
  • Swifty
    Options
    So I get off work pretty early on Monday. You guys think it’ll be worth it to arrive to the Tustin store around 11:30 or 12pm to check for new 5900x stock? 
  • Joellybeans
    Joellybeans ✭✭
    5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I haven't bought computer parts in 7 years... is it usually this crazy for cpu releases? I'm guessing my chances of scoring a 6800 is slim to none? I am not camping out... 
  • Joellybeans
    Options
    Nothing in stock for Tustin, I was having the same messages with the 5900x. It showed limited availability and out of stock each time I reloaded the page.

Limited availability usually means none in stock from what I have been experiencing. Maybe it's different for others? 
  • Brad_Isnard
    Options
    I’m not sure what “limited availability” is Supposed to mean. Normally, if it’s out of stock, it says “out of stock”. Look at any 3080 right now, and you’ll see what I mean. 
  • Vaggeto
    Options
    Brad_Isnard said:
    I’m not sure what “limited availability” is Supposed to mean. Normally, if it’s out of stock, it says “out of stock”. Look at any 3080 right now, and you’ll see what I mean. 

I agree, it's really confusing. Are they trying to say both it's out of stock and just in general it has very limited availability? It really seems as though they want to go to into the store to find out yourself instead of being able to see it on the website.

• Limited availability usually means none in stock from what I have been experiencing. Maybe it's different for others? 
    Yeah  it seems like a glitch in the system as others have said. It happened to me on mobile and each time it reloaded it shows out if stock and switch to limited availability.

Swifty said:
    So I get off work pretty early on Monday. You guys think it’ll be worth it to arrive to the Tustin store around 11:30 or 12pm to check for new 5900x stock? 
    I'm going to go early and the morning tomorrow and ask to see when they'll be in stock. I'll update this forum as soon as I get information on availability.
  • Boojics
    Options
    Anyone know when is worth it to fall in line all night at tustin for 5900x?
  • Captain_OmNoms
    Options
    No Vermeer processors for Chicago location today
  • Geeky1
    Geeky1 ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Was it this crazy when Ryzen 2 launched and if so, how long did it take to get restocked and have general availability? I checked online from midnight to past 2 am on Nov. 5 but didn't see anything on your website until I checked again at 10 am. Then it would say out of stock and immediately flip to limited availability. I drove down to the Denver store last night and they were closed for deep cleaning. I don't understand why you don't allow customers to buy online for in-store or curbside pickup instead of forcing us to drive to your store and risk COVID just to find out it's out of stock.
  • obogobo
    Options
    Yes ^ having people line up during the pandemic is reckless. Just take pre-orders!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    I haven't bought computer parts in 7 years... is it usually this crazy for cpu releases? I'm guessing my chances of scoring a 6800 is slim to none? I am not camping out... 
    Well, for big product releases there are usually a few people lining up early and maybe camping out, but this year is a little different because the demand for PC parts is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than before. If you look at the raw numbers, the NVIDIA 3000 series had about the same availability/slightly more than the 2000 series, the difference is that not nearly as many people upgraded to the 2000 series. So not only do we have the people who normally upgrade every cycle, we also have all the people who waited to upgrade after the last cycleand just the general craziness of a COVID-19 forcing people to stay home more and therefore creating much bigger demand for PC anything. It's a perfect storm really.
    Vaggeto said:
    It really seems as though they want to go to into the store to find out yourself instead of being able to see it on the website.
    This is basically the answer. The problem right now with the new parts is that even if they're showing in stock on the website, because we're using vouchers or there are just people waiting at the store at any given time, as soon as they come in they are almost certainly already claimed and just haven't actually been checked out yet. I know for the Zen3 CPUs the stores have been handing out vouchers and allowing them to come back later to claim them, so even though they may show in stock, many of them are already spoken for and just waiting for somebody to come back and claim their CPU from the voucher. I know it's inconvenient for the ones who don't live close enough to a store to make an easy trip, but this is how it's set up right now. 
    Geeky1 said:
    Was it this crazy when Ryzen 2 launched and if so, how long did it take to get restocked and have general availability? I checked online from midnight to past 2 am on Nov. 5 but didn't see anything on your website until I checked again at 10 am. Then it would say out of stock and immediately flip to limited availability. I drove down to the Denver store last night and they were closed for deep cleaning. I don't understand why you don't allow customers to buy online for in-store or curbside pickup instead of forcing us to drive to your store and risk COVID just to find out it's out of stock.
    So in terms of availability, I'd say it's about the same as Ryzen 2000. In terms of demand, it's much higher this year so that gives the illusion that the launch hasn't been as good. For new product releases historically we've pretty much always limited it to no reservation and in-store pickup only at the beginning until supply and demand stabilize. That's how it was for the Zen2 processors, for the RTX 2000 series, etc... and my understanding for why is to try to maintain the most availability for the largest amount of people instead of having all the products claimed by bots and scalpers (which have gotten even worse this year). 
  • skulman03
    Options
    i randomly checked the newegg last night just cuz and they had the 5800 in stock and i got one idek jow but i’m so lucky. I’m just wondering if should sell and upgrade to the 5900 or even a 3070 or 6800. i’m going to build my first ever pc any suggestions. i might just hold cuz i don’t know when they would get more instock. 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    skulman03 said:
    i randomly checked the newegg last night just cuz and they had the 5800 in stock and i got one idek jow but i’m so lucky. I’m just wondering if should sell and upgrade to the 5900 or even a 3070 or 6800. i’m going to build my first ever pc any suggestions. i might just hold cuz i don’t know when they would get more instock. 
    Do you NEED a 5900X? There's a very minimal difference in gaming performance across the Zen3 CPUs, may 1-2% from reviews I've seen. If you have a use for those extra four cores then you may want to consider the 5900X or just the 3900X instead, but if you're not doing multi-core intensive work you're not going to see any significant differences between the two CPUs. 

• skulman03
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    skulman03 said:
    Do you NEED a 5900X? There's a very minimal difference in gaming performance across the Zen3 CPUs, may 1-2% from reviews I've seen. If you have a use for those extra four cores then you may want to consider the 5900X or just the 3900X instead, but if you're not doing multi-core intensive work you're not going to see any significant differences between the two CPUs. 

I was just going to use it for gaming and school work. Right now i’m planning on getting a 5700xt because it’s in my budget but idk if i should sell the 5800x and maybe try and get a 6000 series or 3070 and then get a 5800x when stock is more steady right now i think i’ll just keep the 5800x and get a 5700xt and maybe upgrade later. 
  • Swifty
    Options

Swifty said:
    I'm going to go early and the morning tomorrow and ask to see when they'll be in stock. I'll update this forum as soon as I get information on availability.
    Any luck? 
  • futurewolfie
    Options
    I'm sure it's probably different for every store but I talked to Westmont and they basically said the best bet is to show up at the store and see if there's a shipment arriving that day, they don't have regular days of receiving stock. Stuff will come when it comes and will fly off the shelves when it gets there.
  • Swifty said:
    Any luck? 
    Yes the clerks in the store mentioned 
     the new cpus will be available this upcoming week. I'll try and go tomorrow early morning and see if they have any in stock.
  • XPGeek
    Options
    Writing out my whole experience so maybe (just maybe) Micro Center "customer service" can start acting like they are the 189th largest private company in America.

Ever since the 5950X was rumored, I was looking at leaks, benchmarks, and the like. I was ready to camp out and get one on launch day, but realized that demand would be very, very high. Here's what's happened:
    I live in Washington DC proper, so the FFX MicroCenter is a 1 hour round trip for context.

11/4 - 9:30pm - Joined the line at the Fairfax, VA Micro Center. I was maybe 14th overall, and the 5th/6th person who expressed interest in a 5950X. Feeling my chances would be pretty good, I elected to stay.
    • Travel Time - 0:30hr
    • Camping Time - 0:00hr
    • "Customer Service" Time - 0:00hr
    11/4 - 10:30pm: Got some Domino's from the Micro Center "customer relations team" thanks to @Hyperflame :)
    11/5 - 2:00am: Conversation dies down, decided to grab a few, fitful hours of sleep.
    11/5 - 6:00-7:00am: The line was informed vouchers would be handed out for the 5900X, 5800X, and 5600X. The 5950Xs were "coming in on a truck" "sometime that day" and that there was a "FedEx tracking number" (which later we can assume was imaginary). Was told an expected arrival time of 10:00-12:00am
    • Travel Time - 0:30hr
    • Camping Time - 9:00hr
    • "Customer Service" Time - 0:00hr
    11/5 - 12:30pm: After returning home to work (because Thursday is a work day, and I wasn't taking off without CPU in hand), I return to Micro Center after getting a 4 texts saying it was "my turn" (but one that said, "please disregard"). Decided to make the trip and see what was up. Interacted with 3 "CSR" agents and the manager, who inform me the shipment has been "further delayed" and they "don't know when it will arrive" but "sometime later in the day" and "before closing". They also mentioned the "trash system" (online order/texting system) multiple times, like the running joke it is.
    • Travel Time - 1:30hr
    • "Customer Service" Time - 0:30hr
    11/5 - 11/7: I continue texting the number I was given, as it's one of the only lines of communication Micro Center gives you.
    They take efforts to obscure their phone number from their website, Google Maps, and Yelp (really tells you a lot about their willingness to communicate). Found it on Yellow Pages however, so I gave them a call (or four, as the first three dropped after holding for 20-45 minutes each)
    11/8 - 12:00pm: I finally get a hold of another "CSR". He tells me that "nobody got 5950Xs" and that they were "still awaiting shipment". He could not provide an ETA. At all. Not even a time range, estimate, nothing. That is all I have gotten since Thursday, nothing.
    • Travel Time - 1:30hr
    • "Customer Service" Time - ~3:00hr

12 hours into this, and nothing to show for it. Has anyone else gotten a 5950X? Care to share your experiences? Really pissed at the moment. Thank you.

• TDRacin
    Options
    So here's an update.  Managed to pickup a 5800x on launch day and then lucked into a 3080.  But anyway, I had the CSR recommend a MB to go with the new processor.  So today I put it all together and come to find out, this board (ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Wifi) will not work with this processor unless you have an older Ryzen chip to put in it.  Dafauq is that?!?!  I'm afraid to go back in the store because it might not turn out well.  I have the entire system setup and everything works.  Very frustrating!
  • AaronJB
    AaronJB
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    TDRacin said:
    So here's an update.  Managed to pickup a 5800x on launch day and then lucked into a 3080.  But anyway, I had the CSR recommend a MB to go with the new processor.  So today I put it all together and come to find out, this board (ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Wifi) will not work with this processor unless you have an older Ryzen chip to put in it.  Dafauq is that?!?!  I'm afraid to go back in the store because it might not turn out well.  I have the entire system setup and everything works.  Very frustrating!
    You should be okay. All that should be required for any of the new 5000 series CPUs to work on these established MBs is an update to the BIOS. Do some Googling and find out where and how to update.
  • Dethy
    Options
    TDRacin said:
    Check if you can update the BIOS without a cpu in it.  Some motherboards allow you to do that by downloading the bios to usb drive and plug it in to specific port and hit update button on the motherboard.
  • bigdave32
    Options
    Do we know for sure that MC is leaving the stock status of the 5000 chips as Limited Quantity, even if the store gets more in stock?  I'm happy to check the site every morning, but I can't constantly drive to microcenter to see if they've come in.
  • soupy
    Options
    TDRacin said:
    TUF x570 doesn't have bios flashback that allows updating via USB without an installed CPU.  The sales staff need to be aware of this to prevent mistakes like this.  You'd need to buy something like the ROG Strix or better to get that feature.  If you don't want to deal with the exchange, AMD is offering a loaner program to qualified buyers of Zen 3 to address this issue:
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100
  • Swifty
    Options
    Here is an update to all the people by the Tustin store. I just stopped by the store and they told me that they are getting shipments everyday of new stuff. There is no guarantee that any ryzen 5000 chips will be in those shipments but, people are literally camping out in front of the store. So if you really want a gpu or ryzen 5000 you pretty much need to camp out in front of the store during the week and hope the shipment they get has what you want. Once it’s in stock it sells out in minutes. I think I am just going to wait a few months and get what I want after new year. 
  • TDRacin
    TDRacin
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    soupy said:
    TDRacin said:
    TUF x570 doesn't have bios flashback that allows updating via USB without an installed CPU.  The sales staff need to be aware of this to prevent mistakes like this.  You'd need to buy something like the ROG Strix or better to get that feature.  If you don't want to deal with the exchange, AMD is offering a loaner program to qualified buyers of Zen 3 to address this issue:
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100
    Yeah, thanks for that.  I googled the chit out of this issue and it seems to be the case.  But, if you read that link from AMD, it states this only affects X470 and B450 MB's.

Either way, I have a new, older CPU coming and I'll see how that goes.

Edit-  That looks to be an older article, but probably still applies here.

Here's the updated article-  https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105
  • Vaggeto
    Options
    If anyone else is in Dallas or hears about the counts of 5900x and 5950x, please let me know!
    bigdave32 said:
    Do we know for sure that MC is leaving the stock status of the 5000 chips as Limited Quantity, even if the store gets more in stock?  I'm happy to check the site every morning, but I can't constantly drive to microcenter to see if they've come in.

Very little if any communication in this regards. It's really disappointing and frustrating.
    Very poor decision by MC to force people into the store repeatedly in hopes of getting lucky to find a product in stock in the middle of a pandemic. They should have a clear way to either notify of stock or a schedule of stock to be released. (Weekly or Tuesdays and Fridays at opening. (Then people can line up like release day if needed)
    This random "Maybe a shipment will come in today at some random time, or maybe it won't" is terrible.
  • JS_MC
    Options
    Hey @Joellybeans! Hmm, It's showing as sold out for me. I can confirm that Tustin is sold out of the new 5800X and 5900X at this time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99