RTX 3000 Series Micro Center Discussion & FAQ!

Comments

• punkinboy
    punkinboy ✭✭
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for keeping us updated @TSTonyV
  • YoshiMoshi
    YoshiMoshi ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    @TSTonyV
    Thanks for the update. Will MC have water blocks for the 3080 or 3090 on launch day for sale physically in physical stores (not online)?
  • Conrad said:
    Anyone going to the Cincinnati location on Thursday? I'm torn between sleeping in my car overnight or showing up at 7 a.m 
    I might be, debating on Cincy or Cbus. Not sure which would be the best bet and yet to get ahold of either to get an idea of what they are planning or possible stock. Pretty bummed will not be any FE cards though.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Anybody still checking back, I've updated the OP with what information we can get on the FAQ.

At this time there's no word on the voucher system. My assumption at this point is this is probably being handled on a case-by-case basis by the individual stores but I have gotten no definite confirmation on that one way or the other. I know a lot of you really want to know specifics on this due to COVID-19 but this is the best answer I can give at the moment. 

I also don't know specifics on stock at each location, but best I can say is that it will be very limited throughout our stores. 
  • Every time I try to call the Houston store you can never get a person on the phone.  I was hoping to find out a little more info on how they are going to handle it but guess not.  Has anyone else heard anything from that store in particular?
  • Sawyers02 said:
    Every time I try to call the Houston store you can never get a person on the phone.  I was hoping to find out a little more info on how they are going to handle it but guess not.  Has anyone else heard anything from that store in particular?
    Same. I cant get a person on the phone either.
  • Can anyone that has done these big releases at MC tell us how their experiences went?  Did you get there early and was there already a huge line?  Did you camp out in the parking lot the night before?
  • I'll be driving to the Rockville, MD location tomorrow  after work (early evening) to get a PSU I'm installing specifically for a 3080. I'll ask when I'm there what the stock is looking like (if they know) and what they are doing about vouchers then post what they tell me here. Will probably go home for a bit and try to sleep then get back there around 5 or 6am.
  • GLuE said:
    Tustin peeps. I’m down for camping. Let’s do this. 
    No, please. I hope the city of Tustin and Micro Center enforce a no camping policy. Arent we supposedly in the middle of a pandemic?? Doesnt seem like it. 
  • rem1x said:
    Junkie said:
    Yeah I understand the whole problem with people like me, and I agree to an extent its getting out of hand, but this is what MicroCenter told me to do. Besides I got time to waste. I do hope those who come in the morning are able to get a card, however, someone at the Tustin store told me there are only going to have 10 cards total...
    10!?! Oh my god... well there goes my chance of getting one at Micro Center. Ughh
    Lmao...he's obviously saying this bs so less people show up. 
  • Agree with @eclid_777 .... I feel like the response from MC about them discouraging camping won’t prevent people from doing it anyway. I mean, what are they to do about it? Other than hire security to tell people to go away all night. Lol
  • @TSTonyV
    Thanks for the update. Will MC have water blocks for the 3080 or 3090 on launch day for sale physically in physical stores (not online)?
  • punkinboy said:
    Agree with @eclid_777 .... I feel like the response from MC about them discouraging camping won’t prevent people from doing it anyway. I mean, what are they to do about it? Other than hire security to tell people to go away all night. Lol
    People can just wait in their cars anyways. If I happen to get there super early (4-5am), I'll just sit in my car until a line starts forming. If they don't allow people to form any line at all, I feel that will be just worse and it will be just a mad rush of people jumping over each other vs a managed line where people can wear masks/socially distance. 
  • Ichthus
    Ichthus ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    elcid_777 said:
    rem1x said:
    Junkie said:
    Yeah I understand the whole problem with people like me, and I agree to an extent its getting out of hand, but this is what MicroCenter told me to do. Besides I got time to waste. I do hope those who come in the morning are able to get a card, however, someone at the Tustin store told me there are only going to have 10 cards total...
    10!?! Oh my god... well there goes my chance of getting one at Micro Center. Ughh
    Lmao...he's obviously saying this bs so less people show up. 
    I think ya'll are way overestimating how many cards MC will have. They might be lucky to get 20-30.  Were any of you around for the 10 or 20 series releases? Launch day stock was insanely small and they sold out INSTANTLY. Even if NVIDIA opted for the "better" Samsung process for their chips to get more reliable yields, that doesn't magically mean hundreds are going to be available day one. 

I think a lot of you are going to be leaving empty handed at this rate. Stock on launch day is always ultra-limited and there's nothing you, or they, can do about it. 
  • cucuchu said:
    punkinboy said:
    Agree with @eclid_777 .... I feel like the response from MC about them discouraging camping won’t prevent people from doing it anyway. I mean, what are they to do about it? Other than hire security to tell people to go away all night. Lol
    People can just wait in their cars anyways. If I happen to get there super early (4-5am), I'll just sit in my car until a line starts forming. If they don't allow people to form any line at all, I feel that will be just worse and it will be just a mad rush of people jumping over each other vs a managed line where people can wear masks/socially distance. 
    Might not want to do that for the 3090, considering the quantity will likely be in the single digits lol.
    Agreed. They should allow people to wait in line. Might want to get there much earlier than 4-5 am, and wait at the door.
    Imagine someone comes up and gets in line while your in your car. That could be the only 3090 that store gets lol.
  • Anybody going to Cbus store? Thinking of camping but I dunno
  • TSTonyV said:
    Anybody still checking back, I've updated the OP with what information we can get on the FAQ.

At this time there's no word on the voucher system. My assumption at this point is this is probably being handled on a case-by-case basis by the individual stores but I have gotten no definite confirmation on that one way or the other. I know a lot of you really want to know specifics on this due to COVID-19 but this is the best answer I can give at the moment. 

I also don't know specifics on stock at each location, but best I can say is that it will be very limited throughout our stores. 
    Hi @TSTonyV, thanks for the continual updates here. I hope you know it's appreciated. I see in the FAQ that it says "we want to avoid having lines outside of the store" -- but I would love to hear how that's actually going to happen? Any kind of physical distribution of cards / vouchers is going to induce a line outside the store. 

• You're discouraging a line but don't have any other information to offer than what's on the FAQ. This is going to be a mess.
  • You're discouraging a line but don't have any other information to offer than what's on the FAQ. This is going to be a mess.
    i say comply with CDC guidelines, wear a face mask, and stand more than six feet from other people in line?
  • cucuchu said:
    I'll be driving to the Rockville, MD location tomorrow after work (early evening) to get a PSU I'm installing specifically for a 3080. I'll ask when I'm there what the stock is looking like (if they know) and what they are doing about vouchers then post what they tell me here. Will probably go home for a bit and try to sleep then get back there around 5 or 6am.
    I'll see you there.

For the admins:
    Are there any words if there will be high end models such as strix, ftw3, AMP, Etc.?  I'm seeing more and more that only base models will be available from other retailers.  Just knowing that they may exist is all I need.  If they don't I don't want to waste my time and take time off of work in order to find that only base models are being stocked.  But for a large release like this, it's saddening that so much is still left unknown with less than 48 hours prior to release.  It's as if the shipments from the vendors are only sending mystery boxes, and distributions has 0 communications. This is all akin to showing up to the store, waiting 5+ hours, shaking the magic 8 ball to only get the answer... "Thank you for waiting all this time, and your dedication, keeping up with all news, participating in our efforts, following our guidelines, kept civil while waiting.... but it turns out you had a better chance ordering online as it appears we only have base models today, and no FE.  Now it's too late as by this time all online orders have been placed and stock is now out."  The amount of darkness surrounding this release is... I just can't.
    i say comply with CDC guidelines, wear a face mask, and stand more than six feet from other people in line?
    Thats what I'm thinking as well. I'd rather that than a QR system that can be abused or rushing the door at open
  • cucuchu said:
    I'll be driving to the Rockville, MD location tomorrow after work (early evening) to get a PSU I'm installing specifically for a 3080. I'll ask when I'm there what the stock is looking like (if they know) and what they are doing about vouchers then post what they tell me here. Will probably go home for a bit and try to sleep then get back there around 5 or 6am.
    I'll see you there.

For the admins:
    Are there any words if there will be high end models such as strix, ftw3, AMP, Etc.?  I'm seeing more and more that only base models will be available from other retailers.  Just knowing that they may exist is all I need.  If they don't I don't want to waste my time and take time off of work in order to find that only base models are being stocked.  But for a large release like this, it's saddening that so much is still left unknown with less than 48 hours prior to release.  It's as if the shipments from the vendors are only sending mystery boxes, and distributions has 0 communications. This is all akin to showing up to the store, waiting 5+ hours, shaking the magic 8 ball to only get the answer... "Thank you for waiting all this time, and your dedication, keeping up with all news, participating in our efforts, following our guidelines, kept civil while waiting.... but it turns out you had a better chance ordering online as it appears we only have base models today, and no FE.  Now it's too late as by this time all online orders have been placed and stock is now out."  The amount of darkness surrounding this release is... I just can't.
    Just get anyone that has a water block for it, then you don't have to pay extra for a gigantic cooler and have to worry about higher end models. Just get the cheapest model that you can put a water block on.
    Thats what I'm thinking as well. I'd rather that than a QR system that can be abused or rushing the door at open
    Right, as long as we stay in accordance with CDC guidelines, I don't see why anyone would complain.
  • BillCafe said:
    Anybody going to Cbus store? Thinking of camping but I dunno
    I might be, trying to decide between Cbus and Cincy on which might give the best odds. I feel like Cbus store is usually way more busy than Cincy. Been trying to get someone on the phone to get idea how they plan to handle launch and maybe what kinda stock they have/will have. 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    cucuchu said:
    I'll see you there.

For the admins:
    What I've read online is that manufacturers won't make the higher-end models available until later, and I think it would be safe to assume that's the case in general. I don't know for sure, I have no idea what stock is going to be, and I will probably know at the same time you guys do: when the listings go up on the website. Until then, I can only speculate and emphasize that the one thing I DO know is that stock is going to be very limited on launch day, because it's always limited for releases like this. 
  • @TSTonyV will stock go up before the store opens or after the main crowd that has been waiting leaves?
  • https://www.mooreslawisdead.com/post/nvidia-s-ultimate-play
    This seems likely to me. I think people over estimate the impact COVID truly has on manufacturing as well. Look at what Nvidia did with the 2000 series cards and pricing even though they knew a much cheaper, more powerful card was in development. I put nothing passed them now.
  • CragBran said:
    Any Michigan peeps in here or am in this alone.
    Michigan here! I am hoping folks don't plan on camping in MH, but I will be getting there around 8am. 
  • To all the Tustin peeps, I hope all of you get a 3080/3090. It'll be an interesting day tomorrow!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99