AMD Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 Series Launch Discussion

Comments

• Anyone at Chicago or Westmont location?
  • What's the deal with the timestamps saying 3:00am...i don't get it.
  • Line is wrapped around the building now in Houston.
  • Line is wrapped around the building now in Houston.
    dang, how many people need a new cpu? my 6700k is "dyING" but not completely dead so I'm fine with waiting. still gonna try the online crew tho, save me a trip. 
  • Anyone at Chicago or Westmont location?
    I am; I'm at the Chicago location. There is just me and one other person currently. The manager said they should have a good variety of each of the different CPU's but he did not give any numbers.
  • SMO
    SMO
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Line is wrapped around the building now in Houston.
    dang, how many people need a new cpu? my 6700k is "dyING" but not completely dead so I'm fine with waiting. still gonna try the online crew tho, save me a trip. 
    Might wanna check a certain retailers Twitter post.. TL;DR top 2 zen 3 very limited stock 
  • Sheepykin
    Sheepykin ✭✭
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited November 2020
    5 people in line at the Rockville location with everyone on a list and want 5900x. Probably no need to rush out for others interested, probably show up closer to 4 or 5am. I was informed that the store staff won't even start handing out vouchers until 6-7am depending on when they arrive.

I will only post updates every 5 people who show up until closer to 5am. So if you don't see my post any updates then expect around the number I last posted. So it could be 5-9 people for a while.
  • Anyone at St David's in PA? 
  • Anyone in line at Tustin if so how many?
  • Anyone waiting in cambridge mass? Getting nervous watching all the online activity and might drive out from connecticut early to wait in line.
  • Confirmed no 5950x at Yonkers MC. NE stating 5950x and 5900x stock is not great. 5600x and 5800x is better. 
  • Cellie said:
    Confirmed no 5950x at Yonkers MC. NE stating 5950x and 5900x stock is not great. 5600x and 5800x is better. 

I have also been told that there will be no 5950x at Rockville. So unless a miracle happens and unplanned stock suddenly comes in then none here.
  • One of the Ryzen marketing managers took note of one of my tweets about camping out and delivered free Domino's to us in Fairfax LOL
  • Sheepykin
    Sheepykin ✭✭
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited November 2020
    One of the Ryzen marketing managers took note of one of my tweets about camping out and delivered free Domino's to us in Fairfax LOL

One of the AMD guys is here at the Rockville store now. He took a picture to document it.
  • Sheepykin said:
    5 people in line at the Rockville location with everyone on a list and want 5900x. Probably no need to rush out for others interested, probably show up closer to 4 or 5am. I was informed that the store staff won't even start handing out vouchers until 6-7am depending on when they arrive.

I will only post updates every 5 people who show up until closer to 5am. So if you don't see my post any updates then expect around the number I last posted. So it could be 5-9 people for a while.
    Do you have any idea how the vouchers will work at Rockville? Hoping for a 5800x, but I've got a commitment right when they open. I could swing by earlier for a voucher if I'm able to come back a bit later.
  • 3080nao
    3080nao
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Anyone waiting in cambridge mass? Getting nervous watching all the online activity and might drive out from connecticut early to wait in line.
    If you want a 5900x or 5950....GO NOW if you want even a chance at it.  All of a sudden since 7pm EST the Cambridge people gone dark, something is up.
  • @bbnn doesn’t look like it but everyone is really chill and friendly here we know the order 
  • AARGH said:
    Whats breakdown of chips wanted out of the 22 @ fairfax, ;)
    I'll probably just roll up in the AM, all i want is a measly 5600x

#   Type
    08 5950
    13 5900
    01 5800
    01 5600
    and 3 for 3080 cards just in case
    Any clue if the 5950 folks are opting for that card or bust?  Probably take an hour to get there and I'd hate to be just edged out if they opt 5900 instead
    At least 5 are, we are at 26 people in line as of last check in..  

11 - 5950
    16 - 5900
    02 - 5800
    01 - 5600
    04 - Also interested in 3080's
  • radioToys said:
    Sheepykin said:

Do you have any idea how the vouchers will work at Rockville? Hoping for a 5800x, but I've got a commitment right when they open. I could swing by earlier for a voucher if I'm able to come back a bit later.

As far as we are aware the manager will arrive sometime between 6 and 7am. They will hand out vouchers to the line so that you don't have to stay until they open like the other releases. I believe most stores have it be until 3pm when you can redeem but I haven't been here for a release before and I don't know more than the fact that they will most likely hand out vouchers. This store did change their hours starting last Sunday, so they are open from 9am instead of the 10am that they used to open.

From what I am aware of the 5600x and 5800x there is no rush. The only CPU that will be very limited will be the 5900x, which is to be expected.

So I would say see if you can swing by around 6:30am to get a spot for the voucher. Sadly I don't know more or I would tell you.
  • @Cellie how’s the line at Yonkers? Can’t get there until about 8. Just wondering if it’s worth the trip
  • Sheepykin said:
    radioToys said:
    Sheepykin said:

As far as we are aware the manager will arrive sometime between 6 and 7am. They will hand out vouchers to the line so that you don't have to stay until they open like the other releases. I believe most stores have it be until 3pm when you can redeem but I haven't been here for a release before and I don't know more than the fact that they will most likely hand out vouchers. This store did change their hours starting last Sunday, so they are open from 9am instead of the 10am that they used to open.

From what I am aware of the 5600x and 5800x there is no rush. The only CPU that will be very limited will be the 5900x, which is to be expected.

So I would say see if you can swing by around 6:30am to get a spot for the voucher. Sadly I don't know more or I would tell you.
    Thanks! I think I'll plan to show up around 6am. If the line hasn't filled up like crazy I may have to try for a 5900x instead...
  • The situation at Tustin MC as of 8:30PM 11/4: ~20 people are lined up outside the store in queue for the 5000 series launch however a list has already been established with well over 100 people who have already "secured there position in line" for whatever processor they want. They are no longer needed to be present until check-in times at 4am and 7am on launch day. The problem with this is MC sale of the CPUs are based off of a first come first serve basis. Despite that people were able to come and go as the please without having to physically wait in line, which is typically part of the FCFS process for items with limited availability. This is pretty unfair to the people who are willing to wait in line for however long in order to purchase the product. This system would have been better suited for a raffle giving people the equal opportunity of securing a CPU while saving many time and effort. I understand that this maybe a smarter move in light of COVID-19 however, I feel that MC should be doing more to organize these actual releases rather than leaving it up to the consumers waiting outside. I believe the system was inspired by the one started during the 30 series GPU releases as shown in BitWit's video on youtube, however that system was much more rigid with 30 minute check-in times and required potential buyers to be in queue for much longer times than not as FCFS queues should be. Whether or not the 100 or so people who've already signed up would've been willing to wait when they arrived until doors open, doesn't change the fact that the situation is what it is right now, that there is no real queue and that the list could have easily been manipulated preventing people who were more willing to wait to purchase their item from doing so.

TLDR: MC Tustin is getting run by a bunch of people who don't know how a first come first serve queue works. As someone whos camped out over the years for items with limited availability such as shoes, clothing, collectables, etc. This is pretty bullshit.
  • Xkix said:
    @bbnn doesn’t look like it but everyone is really chill and friendly here we know the order 
    nice you guys stay safe

AARGH said:
    AARGH said:
    Whats breakdown of chips wanted out of the 22 @ fairfax, ;)
    I'll probably just roll up in the AM, all i want is a measly 5600x

#   Type
    08 5950
    13 5900
    01 5800
    01 5600
    and 3 for 3080 cards just in case
    Any clue if the 5950 folks are opting for that card or bust?  Probably take an hour to get there and I'd hate to be just edged out if they opt 5900 instead
    At least 5 are, we are at 26 people in line as of last check in..  

11 - 5950
    16 - 5900
    02 - 5800
    01 - 5600
    04 - Also interested in 3080's
    damn people still buying 3080s
  • Sheepykin said:
    radioToys said:
    Sheepykin said:

Looks like Fairfax is tapped out just about but Rockville isn't awful yet, mind dropping a head count around 3 Am to see if it's worthwhile trying to snow up? I need a tiny bit of sleep after election watching, thanks!
  • @Cellie how’s the line at Yonkers? Can’t get there until about 8Am. Just wondering if it’s worth the trip
  • 3080nao said:
    Anyone waiting in cambridge mass? Getting nervous watching all the online activity and might drive out from connecticut early to wait in line.
    If you want a 5900x or 5950....GO NOW if you want even a chance at it.  All of a sudden since 7pm EST the Cambridge people gone dark, something is up.
    Yeah, there is definitely a blackout on news coming out of Cambridge lol ......or absolutely no one is there. 
  • Who's at Paterson Microcenter? How many people are there?
  • Looks like Fairfax is tapped out just about but Rockville isn't awful yet, mind dropping a head count around 3 Am to see if it's worthwhile trying to snow up? I need a tiny bit of sleep after election watching, thanks!
    Sure thing I can give an update then.
  • How many people are lined at dallas right now? I was planning on going early in the morning but if I have to go even sooner I will.
  • Wranglher
    Wranglher
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2020
    @Sheepykin do you know how many 5900x they have in inventory

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99