AMD Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 Series Launch Discussion

Comments

• So, why doesn't MC create a store reservation list so people can get on a waiting list and get their processor when it becomes available? I'd like to buy from Microcenter but I can't show up there early morning every time there might be a shipment (and I don't even know when their shipments come in). Would much rather be on a waitlist and know they'll call me when it's my turn.
  • Anyone know if Dallas has any 5950’s left? 
  • Anybody know if theyre sold out of 5600x at Tustin? Theyre being super cryptic and I dont wanna drive there tomorrow morning if there isnt a chance of getting one. 
  • Parkville, MD had 6 5900x at opening with probably around 25 5800x and 30+ 5600x. However, the manager told us a shipment would come in before 1030 so many waited to see and there was only 1 5950x in the truck but 25 3080s and 10 3090s so I was able to at least score a 3080. Everything but  the 5600x sold out by noon.
  • Cvzg77rs said:
    Anyone know if Dallas has any 5950’s left? 

I heard they never got any for today's launch.
  • SMO
    SMO
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    CragBran said:
    Anyone have updates for the Madison Heights MC?
    Line around the parking lot, looks like at least 50-100 people. 
    Madison heights MI is sold out of 5900 and up.
    right around the time of this comment I saw it go from 3 in stock  to a page load error Now it says "Limited Availability" Which sounds a lot like none, but come check anyway lol.

edit: when I refresh the page for a slight second it says sold out before it blips over to Limited Availability
  • Vaggeto said:
    Cvzg77rs said:
    Anyone know if Dallas has any 5950’s left? 

I heard they never got any for today's launch.
    Just came by and they said they only received two all day that’s it and we’re gone in a matter of seconds smh
  • Dakine said:
    Anybody know if theyre sold out of 5600x at Tustin? Theyre being super cryptic and I dont wanna drive there tomorrow morning if there isnt a chance of getting one. 
    Cryptic for sure.  I asked how stock was on ANY Zen 3 and was told “they are going so fast I can’t tell you.  Come to the store to find out.”  Seriously?  WTF
  • I was in the AMD CPU line at the Houston store this morning. They did get quite a few 5800x and 5600x CPUs in but only two 5950x and only four 5900x before they called it for the day just a little after noon. I hope they will have more 5950x in at least by Black Friday/Cyber Monday. My system will run on the Ryzen 5 3600 for now.
  • Houston- Wrapped around the back of the building.

This was the Nvidia GPU line. The AMD CPU line had about 20 people a little after 10am and was on the other side of the entrance. Some people were actually waiting in the wrong line.
  • Do we know if more chips coming tomorrow?
  • I also dont understand how there are people on craigslist/offerup etc that are scalping multiple cpu’s bought from microcenter in socal. Like, thought yall limited it? 
  • DaveR
    DaveR
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2020
    For the sake of everyone knowing, this is the situation at cambridge MA as of right now (03h39am), there are 20+ people waiting, mostly for the 5900, followed by 5950, and a handful for the others.

I've been sitting here since 2h30pm, and I managed to talk to A LOT of associates, here is what I got:

- Official info is they will have every CPU, confirmed tl me by the official MC twitter
    - Several associates mentioned NDAs, and considering that everyone everywhere else is super silent its likely cause AMD is likely keeping a tight leash
    - Unofficially Ive had several employees telling me they have a good amount of stock, and some even suggested that for lower tiers camping wont be needed
    - Everyone that let stuff slip was super positive about it, and everyone else kept super quiet

My advice is, if you want 5950X, you're likely out of luck. If you want 5900X get here NOW, if you want the others you can risk it until later.
    Hey saw you walking out with a handful. I was unable to get the the 5950x or the 5900x, at about number 40 in line. The sales associated did not see one of those printed sheets for the 5950x thus he didn't know, he may have gotten to that table afterward. But he did say the 5900x was sold out by that time. I ended up with the 5800x, and decided to get the store warranty (which I never do). This will allow me to upgrade if I decide to spring for the 5950x when it gets back to stock. Were you able to snag a 5950x? Any idea what the guy behind you got?
  • Any zen3s left at the Marietta Ga store?
  • ManWithNoName
    edited November 2020
    Any zen3s left at the Marietta Ga store?
    and/or Duluth, GA store too.  
  • Tustin was out of CPUs 20min ago according to employees at the front
  • For those of you lucky enough to get a 5000 chip and who were previously using a 3000 chip, did you have any issues with Windows after making the switch? Do you need to do a fresh Windows installation if all you are changing is the CPU?
  • Does anyone know when stores generally restock?

A store associate at Cambridge said Mondays and Thursdays they get shipments. However, it is likely different for each store
  • Fairfax says limited availability on some of them. Does this mean they have some or are just trying to get you in the store?
  • TimC said:
    Fairfax says limited availability on some of them. Does this mean they have some or are just trying to get you in the store?
    It only says limited availability on mobile, if you switch to desktop it'll say no stock. Seems like a ploy to get you in the store
  • To give a rough update on the performance of the 5900x compared to haswell's i5 4670k in heavy workloads in Visual Studio, compiling Unreal Engine source took anywhere from 45 minutes (very rare) to a little over an hour. On the 5900x it took 16 minutes. Upon opening the engine in Visual Studio with the i5 4670k it used to take well over a minute before I could even click on anything and move through Visual Studio, and even then it would have bad lag spikes and stutters when trying to do stuff for about another minute. With the 5900x it took 6 seconds to be fully loaded up and useable without any issue.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    obogobo said:
    TimC said:
    Fairfax says limited availability on some of them. Does this mean they have some or are just trying to get you in the store?
    It only says limited availability on mobile, if you switch to desktop it'll say no stock. Seems like a ploy to get you in the store
    I tested this on my end to be safe and I didn't notice a difference in my mobile vs desktop view, but just to be safe we'll look into this. I assume we'd want both the mobile and desktop versions of the website to present the same messaging. 
  • obogobo
    obogobo ✭✭
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Good to hear :) was just my experience this morning and again when I posted that
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Dakine said:
    I also dont understand how there are people on craigslist/offerup etc that are scalping multiple cpu’s bought from microcenter in socal. Like, thought yall limited it? 
    We do limit it, but people will still do whatever they can to get around it. Some people bring in friends to purchase and then re-sell with them. Back during the crypto-currency mining craze, I even saw people taking out craigslist ads to pay random people to come in and purchase a GPU for them so they could get around the limits and re-sell them. I wouldn't be surprised if that's still the case. Some people will do whatever they can if they think they can make a profit. 

I think Micro Center does it better than most with regards to limiting scalpers but at the end of the day no system is perfect. 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    obogobo said:
    Good to hear :) was just my experience this morning and again when I posted that
    Would you be able to take screenshots if this is still happening? 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    obogobo said:
    Mobile

Desktop

Thank you! We've escalated this to our webteam. 
  • Looking for a 5900 or 5800 in Tustin. It shows 10+ stock for 5800 but also said sold out when I click through. Can someone tell me if there are any in stock at the Tustin location??

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99