RTX 3000 Series Micro Center Discussion & FAQ!

Options

Comments

• Felicity
    Options
    Is that the store that already has people lined up outside as we speak?

I headed from others that there's already people waiting outside of a MC for 3080, like the PS3 launch, some people wait a couple of days haha.

If the what people are saying is true, if you get there at 3 AM, you'll be out of lucky, especially at 7, you'll be out of luck, especially if there are already people in line
    pls give sources or don't repeat this from rumors alone, this graphics card looks really good from GN's review but it's still not so good as to warrant senseless upgrades from everybody with anything under a 2080ti a good takeaway was: for now if you are fine you're still fine but it's actually quite impressive so 6/7am is worth a go

Tustin (so cal) might be harder for us but the relative number of posters here seems not so stilted despite the population differences so not sure how to read that, maybe I could plot out a chart or something based on the posters that gave their nearest location in this thread idk I am curious about VR performance on these, have any reviewers done VR tests? that's the main thing that I would want an upgrade for
  • Felicity
    Options
    YoshiMoshi said:
    Is that the store that already has people lined up outside as we speak?

I headed from others that there's already people waiting outside of a MC for 3080, like the PS3 launch, some people wait a couple of days haha.

If the what people are saying is true, if you get there at 3 AM, you'll be out of lucky, especially at 7, you'll be out of luck, especially if there are already people in line
    pls give sources or don't repeat this from rumors alone, this graphics card looks really good from GN's review but it's still not so good as to warrant senseless upgrades from everybody with anything under a 2080ti a good takeaway was: for now if you are fine you're still fine but it's actually quite impressive so 6/7am is worth a go

Tustin (so cal) might be harder for us but the relative number of posters here seems not so stilted despite the population differences so not sure how to read that, maybe I could plot out a chart or something based on the posters that gave their nearest location in this thread idk I am curious about VR performance on these, have any reviewers done VR tests? that's the main thing that I would want an upgrade for

edit: This forum is broke when you edit comments wtf
  • floydian022
    Options
    I kinda have a feeling we're not going to get any more info directly from MC between now and tomorrow.  As another person previously mentioned, the FAQ re-write they did seemed to be solely focused on disclaiming themselves of any liability for people who decide to camp out and then end up getting mugged/catching COVID/waiting for 8h and then having a freakout b/c they still don't end up with a card/etc.  

From here on out, I think the best intel we might get is gonna be people recon(a la folks going to local stores and checking the parking lots for signs of super-early campers, asking store employees if they know anything yet regarding SKUs/quantities).  Gonna be honest, though, I sort of suspect we'll see the opposite of that, and things will actually go pretty dark/quiet between tonight and tomorrow morning, as people start going into every-person-for-themselves mode.  
  • Stitchless
    Options
    SikSol said:
    Hopefully we can get some kind of idea about possible stock or something from MC today, less than 24hr from launch they have to be getting some more info soon. 
    Agreed.  As of now, through all my possible retailers this is the only one that is not posting a lick of concrete information.  And saying that everything is unknown until the day of seems more of a choice rather than a reality.  At this point I feel I would have better luck camping outside a Best Buy in hopes they have physical stock.  At least they have posted what is in their stock, MC hasn't even posted what will be held in their web store, let alone their brick and mortar locations.  Come on MC, toss us something we can sink our teeth into, cause we are starving.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 ✭✭
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Another issue with people camping is where are you going to go if you need to use the bathroom?   Don't the gas stations and diners/restaurants close early?  
  • cucuchu
    Options
    I kinda have a feeling we're not going to get any more info directly from MC between now and tomorrow.  As another person previously mentioned, the FAQ re-write they did seemed to be solely focused on disclaiming themselves of any liability for people who decide to camp out and then end up getting mugged/catching COVID/waiting for 8h and then having a freakout b/c they still don't end up with a card/etc.  

From here on out, I think the best intel we might get is gonna be people recon(a la folks going to local stores and checking the parking lots for signs of super-early campers, asking store employees if they know anything yet regarding SKUs/quantities).  Gonna be honest, though, I sort of suspect we'll see the opposite of that, and things will actually go pretty dark/quiet between tonight and tomorrow morning, as people start going into every-person-for-themselves mode.  
    Possible but regardless I'll post here what they tell me at the Rockville, MD store when I get to the store around 8pm EST tonight to pick up a PSU. Hoping they at least have some kind of clue as to what they have available at that time. I'm not going to come back early in the A.M. though if they are not even certain if they are going to have any it at all though.
  • Duff2087
    Options
    Another issue with people camping is where are you going to go if you need to use the bathroom?   Don't the gas stations and diners/restaurants close early?  
    I've only camped out for a prolonged period of time one other time for the Wii back in 2006 and I'll just say make sure you take care of everything before coming out. Only bring like a banana, some water, and maybe some caffeine but not too much else you'll need to lose your spot.
  • I would love to know how many the Fairfax Va store has but no such luck. Not sure if I should try to buy elsewhere or go stand in line. Also wish other sites would put a time when exactly the cards will be going live for purchase 
  • clementk
    Options
    well, it seems like MC twitter now just gave up and they keep setting people to FAQ when they ask something. Guess we are going in blind tomorrow.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Quick question:  What time do the cards go on-sale for online purchases?  It's midnight tonight right?
  • Stitchless
    Options
    Quick question:  What time do the cards go on-sale for online purchases?  It's midnight tonight right?
    They will not do online purchases at first.  Because supply is so low, it's going to be a first come first serve situation.  The cards will be listed at store hours, but not available to purchase.  This is because they expect enough people to be in line for them that they will likely sell out before staff can guarantee they are able to get your card.
  • clementk
    Options
    on MC not at all and from what i have seen it's going to be 6am pacific
  • cucuchu
    Options
    I would love to know how many the Fairfax Va store has but no such luck. Not sure if I should try to buy elsewhere or go stand in line. Also wish other sites would put a time when exactly the cards will be going live for purchase 
    It will be 9am EST/6am PST for everywhere and all online vendors. Whether or not someone accidently allows orders earlier is what will keep people up all night slamming the F5 key. I would say have alerts set up in the chance they go up earlier and then be ready to refresh browser about 15-30 minutes prior to 6am.

With MicroCenter, its anybody's guess on if they are getting any in. Wording has been vague at best and I don't believe its MicroCenter's fault, but rather they literally have no idea how many of each 3080 they will be getting with their shipment which may or may not arrive today (to be sold tomorrow). Its not just MC but many other retailers are reporting similar stories.
  • elcid_777
    Options
    Why are the Tusitn people so fearful?? Ive seen pictures the previous two major launches when things were still normal and neither looked terribly bad. I do not expect a turn out like that for this release for a number of reasons. It's releasing during covid era. It's a workday, weekday.  It's a $800 gpu after tax. Will there be a line? Absolutely. But it isnt going to be like some are imagining. One thing thats increasing the anxiety is how poorly the retailers are handling updatea and information regarding the aystems theyll have in place. I am not camping out. Not showing up at midnight. There will be no need. 
  • gsmithfcd
    Options
    @TSTonyV

Tony, my man, I appreciate all the insight you've been able to provide to us thus far.

However, we gotta get some news on how the lines are going to work.  The official twitter account is saying there will be a plan but not giving any details.  We're less than 24 hours away from launch, with many people I'm sure heading to get in line in 12 hours from now.  

Can you provide us any more clarity?  I realize it may be up to the individual stores to come up with a plan...but they had to have been advised something.

Thank you again!
  • Stitchless
    Stitchless ✭✭
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I second this request.  I plan on stopping by my store (rockville) today before they close to ask how they would like the line to be set up.  I plan on camping out and do not mind directing people who also show up early.  but it's going to be a large mess if we continue to be kept in the dark, and the larger the mess the more likely there is to be trouble.

Also for those interested, because MC will not carry FE cards, expect higher prices on after market cards.  All other retailers show a mark up, some as high as 900$+ USD.  So if you come with just enough to buy an FE card + tax, might as well not come at all.

Edit: Added store.
    Edit 2: Additional PSA
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 ✭✭
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I'll pay the higher mark ups.  I just want a card. lol 
    Honestly I had already planned on like $1500 for a card before i heard about to 3000's series.  
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Ghukek said:
    Saeroh said:
    I honestly believe that Nvidia is inflating the hype right now. Im gonna just head on by at 8 am or something. Honestly doubt there will be that huge of a line considering this is a $700+ GPU and also its on a thursday morning.  
    Yeah it's hard to predict. More of the people dedicated enough to camp out from midnight are probably going for the 3090, although I heard one guy say he would go for 3080 and if he didn't get it then he'd try again the next week.

It's game theory here. If you think most people are getting there around 8 then you should get there a few minutes earlier than that, but what about the people who think most people are getting there by 8? Show up at midnight to be first in line but the last person that shows up and gets a card came in after 8 then you just wasted 8 hours. 

No matter what time you choose to come in, make sure you stay warm and safe and respect those around you.
    Well he's going to be disappointed tomorrow if he wants the 3090, because the 3090 doesn't release until the 24th. 

For anybody who hasn't been watching, reviews have gone up for the 3080s today. I'm personally a fan of Gamers Nexus because they're very thorough with their reviews and I'd highly recommend watching them 

https://youtu.be/oTeXh9x0sUc

As was suspected, the 3080 is definitely a performance uplift at 4k and 1440p, but NVIDIA was definitely hyping things up with the "up to 2x performance" advertising. In normal rasterization scenarios it looks like it's about ~25% performance increase over the 2080ti, and about ~50% over the 2080 Super at 4k/1440p give or take depending on the title, but those percentages can vary quite a lot. And if you're playing at 1080p, it's not really necessary to have a card like this in the first place. The RTX/DLSS performance is definitely a huge leap forward, but you won't see 2x performance over the 2080 consistently it, looks like heavily it depends on the title. About what I expected, marketing material always targets the best-case scenario and curates examples to make things look as good as possible. Still a pretty significant leap in performance for this generation for high resolution gaming overall it seems. 

Lastly, for everybody still checking back here for updates about vouchers and being the first to get cards, the FAQ is what information we have. At this point I cannot speak definitively on voucher-style systems for those who are coming early to get video cards. I can only recommend if at all possible to check directly with your local store by going there and asking them. 
  • Excalimeme
    Options
    I really wanna go camp out at the Dallas location, but keep hearing rumors about MC (and all the other retailers) not having the high end cards like the Strix or MSI trio. Anybody heard anything else on this? Don't wanna waste my time if I gotta wait until October for that release. Really wish there was more information on this. 
  • Duff2087
    Options
    I'll pay the higher mark ups.  I just want a card. lol 
    Exactly, I'm expecting to pay 1700-1900 for a 3090 depending on model and tax next week if I snag one.
  • Yesterday when I went to MC the cashier who has helped me before said he is waiting another week for the 3090 after I said I'll be back Thursday and he said I'll see you then. If I put 2 and 2 together they expect to have some sort of 3080 supply

• FallenDeity93
    Options
    Anyone plan on stopping by the Dallas location today to see what the gameplan is there?
  • nabutso
    Options
    i registered an account to post this

texted my local microcenter, they said that procedures will be explained at the store, and that they expect people to line up, and that they will have cards. no further info. hope that helps anybody that's looking for a company-wide announcement, don't think it's happening, the way it works will likely be determined by each store.
  • MEGADOR
    Options
    To those worried about how to deal with when nature calls, you can always try my method. Last time I stood in line for something, I brought an empty milk jug with me. After hour #3, I needed to urinate. I turned to the guy behind me and said, "I gotta go. So I'm either doing it in this jug in front of you, or I'll give you $5 when I return for holding my place in line. I don't care either way...your choice." Needless to say, he chose the latter option and then I announced to the entire line our agreement. I did my business behind a dumpster and resumed my place in line.
  • cucuchu
    Options
    nabutso said:
    i registered an account to post this

texted my local microcenter, they said that procedures will be explained at the store, and that they expect people to line up, and that they will have cards. no further info. hope that helps anybody that's looking for a company-wide announcement, don't think it's happening, the way it works will likely be determined by each store.

Thank you for the info. Can you share which MC this was? I'll be heading to the Rockville, MD one later today before closing to pick up a PSU and will ask what the deal is there and share. Would be cool to be put together something so everyone can see what each store is doing.
  • cucuchu
    Options
    MEGADOR said:
    To those worried about how to deal with when nature calls, you can always try my method. Last time I stood in line for something, I brought an empty milk jug with me. After hour #3, I needed to urinate. I turned to the guy behind me and said, "I gotta go. So I'm either doing it in this jug in front of you, or I'll give you $5 when I return for holding my place in line. I don't care either way...your choice." Needless to say, he chose the latter option and then I announced to the entire line our agreement. I did my business behind a dumpster and resumed my place in line.
    Yeah that has been a concern of mine if I show up early. I think just making an alliance with whoever you are standing near where you hold each others spot during the inevitable call of nature is the best course of action.
  • floydian022
    floydian022 ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    Options
    MEGADOR said:
    Given that we're in the middle of a literal global pandemic, I definitely don't recommend threatening to release bodily fluids(jug or not) in front of a crowd of people over keeping a place in line at a computer store for a graphics card.  If the wait outside the store was long, that might not even compare to how long it takes just to get through booking(depending on the size of your town & its local PD).
  • shinfo44
    Options
    cucuchu said:
    MEGADOR said:
    Yeah that has been a concern of mine if I show up early. I think just making an alliance with whoever you are standing near where you hold each others spot during the inevitable call of nature is the best course of action.

Agreed. No normal human would care if you use the bathroom or not, we are all there for the same thing. If anyone made a big fuss about it, I'll gladly relieve myself right there...
  • Anyone go the Fairfax Va store and find card count/ line up and voucher policy yet??

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99