AMD Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 Series Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• minty
    Options
    Will the stores be operating on normal business hours or will there be some kind of midnight launch event for the CPUs?
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @minty

I don't have an official answer for this but it is most likely normal hours.  All of our previous releases, including the 3rd Gen Ryzen, the 2000 series Supers and 3000 Series have been normal hours.  Based off the conversations on this thread and past releases, it is likely people are arriving early as well.  
  • jphila
    jphila
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Will Microcenter be opening early on the launch day or regular time? 
    --- just saw the previous post
  • minty
    Options
    From past experience with the Ryzen launches, how quickly did you run out of stock? I'm assuming it wasn't as fraught as the recent Nvidia launch and trying to gauge whether it's even worth it to line up a few hours early on the day of.
  • VitorVicente
    VitorVicente ✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2020
    Options
    minty said:
    From past experience with the Ryzen launches, how quickly did you run out of stock? I'm assuming it wasn't as fraught as the recent Nvidia launch and trying to gauge whether it's even worth it to line up a few hours early on the day of.

Past Ryzen launches have sold out, not as quickly, nor as astonishingly as the NVIDIA launch, but they still have, so it might be worth lining up, especially if you're looking to grab either 5950X or 5900X
  • AARGH
    Options
    Anyone on here looking to hit up the Fairfax in NOVA?
  • stkasm83
    Options
    Will these CPUs be available for online reservation and in-store pickup on their launch day? 
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    stkasm83 said:
    Will these CPUs be available for online reservation and in-store pickup on their launch day? 
    No official word yet, but if any previous launches are to be taken into account, it is very unlikely they will do reservations
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    stkasm83 said:
    No official word yet, but if any previous launches are to be taken into account, it is very unlikely they will do reservations
    Pretty much this. We basically never do reservations for product launches like this, so I'd be very surprised if we started now. 
  • How early have people lined up for the 3000 CPUs?  I am planning to camp out the morning of Nov 5th but how early?
  • VitorVicente
    VitorVicente ✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2020
    Options
    How early have people lined up for the 3000 CPUs?  I am planning to camp out the morning of Nov 5th but how early?
    This is a hard question to answer, if you're looking for a 5900X or 5950X, you might want to come before midnight on the 5th, since those will likely be the ones most people who line up are looking for.

If you're looking for 5800X or 5600X, then you might be able to come just a couple hours before opening? But once again, I can't give guarantees, nor can anyone else.

Previously launches of Ryzen have seen them sell out, but not crazy fast. Granted every launch so far this year (3000 Series GPU, Xbox Series X, PS5) has sold out in a matter of an hour or two maximum, so it might be hard to establish a comparison with past launches.

Should also point out this depends on what store you are going to, some stores are far crazier than others.
  • AlexBNice
    Options
    I hope with COVID you can reserve the CPU and pick it up whenever.
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    AlexBNice said:
    I hope with COVID you can reserve the CPU and pick it up whenever.
    As mentioned previously in the thread, this is highly unlikely, even the newer RTX 3000 series releases didn't have reservations. But I can personally attest by the team at the Cambridge Microcenter, we lined up, masked and all so it was a good experience
  • Hyperflame
    Options
    AARGH said:
    Yup. I'm looking to snag a 5900x, but I'm not sure how early I should line up...
  • AARGH
    Options
    AARGH said:
    Yup. I'm looking to snag a 5900x, but I'm not sure how early I should line up...
    I'm looking for same, will probably drive by the night before to scope it out the situation and then decide.
  • Hyperflame
    Options
    AARGH said:
    AARGH said:
    I'm looking for same, will probably drive by the night before to scope it out the situation and then decide.
    Was thinking the same thing! Guess I'll be seeing you then, good luck to the both of us :smile:
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    minty said:
    Will the stores be operating on normal business hours or will there be some kind of midnight launch event for the CPUs?
    No midnight launch event, stores will be opening at normal times, though may be lining up early to get their hands on the one they want. 
  • bigdave32
    Options
    Anyone know how busy the Parkville store in Baltimore gets for releases like these?
  • S1owJam
    Options
    bigdave32 said:
    Anyone know how busy the Parkville store in Baltimore gets for releases like these?
    I'm wondering the same thing. I think it was pretty crazy for the 3080 launch. I'm probably going to drive by Wednesday evening to see what things look like. I have no idea what to expect. I wouldn't expect availability to be as limited as a GPU, but who knows...
  • I've never been interested in a launch day product before. I'm probably not going to be able to get there until the weekend, which I assume means they will all be gone.

But, if the first batch doesn't sell out, how long is the delay before we can reserve online for store pickup?

Also, is Microcenter going to restrict purchases in any way so that more of us can get them? I don't expect Ryzen to be anything like the NV 3xxx, but you never know.
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    I've never been interested in a launch day product before. I'm probably not going to be able to get there until the weekend, which I assume means they will all be gone.

But, if the first batch doesn't sell out, how long is the delay before we can reserve online for store pickup?

Also, is Microcenter going to restrict purchases in any way so that more of us can get them? I don't expect Ryzen to be anything like the NV 3xxx, but you never know.
    My response is purely from the information we have gotten for other launches BUT usually, the limit is 1 per household, so people can't buy tones of them.

I assume that it'll sell out before it ever comes online, even if it lasts for 1+ hours after opening, which is a hard bet at least. But with that said, you still don't seem to be able to reserve RTX 3000s yet, so it'll likely be a good few weeks before you can get them online. On the other hand, if AMD pulls out a clutch, you might just be able to get one without queueing up!!
  • Kryptonic
    Options
    It sounded like Microcenter got a ton of RTX 3070's so that was good news, comparatively to 3080's haha. Maybe brings hope to the Zen 3 launch :smile: Not sure I'm up for waiting in line overnight, will see.
  • Sheepykin
    Sheepykin ✭✭
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I hope my local store can get back to me and let me know where to line up for it. The Rockville, MD store is in a mall type building that has 2 entrances that I am pretty sure will be locked until closer to opening time. I don't want to be at the wrong entrance and miss out on getting a 5900x. Based on the comments here I might try and be there around midnight before opening but again I just need to know where to line up.
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    Kryptonic said:
    It sounded like Microcenter got a ton of RTX 3070's so that was good news, comparatively to 3080's haha. Maybe brings hope to the Zen 3 launch :smile: Not sure I'm up for waiting in line overnight, will see.
    This would be pretty good yeah
  • DaveR
    Options
    Hi, was referred here via an email conversation with a Microcenter customer service person named Rosie V. I was planning on getting in line about 8am, but see in this thread that several people are camping out at Cambridge after midnight. Yikes! Not too keen on that myself. Based on recent previous launches (RTX 3000, for example), what was the line like at about 8am? There seems to be a big buzz on the new AMD, but I hear it is not as big as the RTX 3000 (but I doubt that TBH). I want the 5950x, but if it is sold out before my turn, maybe I'll cheap out and get the 3200g to tide me over to get my build going. Initially I was OK with getting the 5900x or 5800x if necessary, but it would be nice to get the 5950x.
    Thoughts on what time is good in Cambridge and my fail-over on the 3200g (I know that is mainly personal preference, but any input would be great)?
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    DaveR said:
    Hi, was referred here via an email conversation with a Microcenter customer service person named Rosie V. I was planning on getting in line about 8am, but see in this thread that several people are camping out at Cambridge after midnight. Yikes! Not too keen on that myself. Based on recent previous launches (RTX 3000, for example), what was the line like at about 8am? There seems to be a big buzz on the new AMD, but I hear it is not as big as the RTX 3000 (but I doubt that TBH). I want the 5950x, but if it is sold out before my turn, maybe I'll cheap out and get the 3200g to tide me over to get my build going. Initially I was OK with getting the 5900x or 5800x if necessary, but it would be nice to get the 5950x.
    Thoughts on what time is good in Cambridge and my fail-over on the 3200g (I know that is mainly personal preference, but any input would be great)?
    For the 3080, by 8am the vouchers had been handed out and everyone was gone, there were also over 50 people there who didn't get anything... Even though I'm hopeful for AMD stock, and the hype is smaller, if you want to get the top of the line, you will definitely have to be there around midnight... at least to guarantee one
  • Any cues on what things will look like for Flushing, NY?  Looking for a 5900X.  Also, anything on the x570 Dark Hero?  Does Micro Center have MB+CPU bundle pricing for new releases?
  • besides having to get there early as hell.  will you guys have the Asus x570 Dark Hero motherboard at the release?  would love to pair it up with a new cpu.  hope the parkville location isnt  nuts!
  • wondering what's the best time to queue up for a 5950x in Marietta or Duluth, GA?
  • Techguy
    Options
    Will you be marking motherboards that can do cpu less bios upgrades or already have a compatible bios for 5xxxx CPUs? You site doesn't list what bios rev the MBs are being sold with.
    Will you have loan 3xxxx CPUs?
    Nothing worse than getting home and the system not booting....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99