AMD Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 Series Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• VitorVicente
    Options
    Techguy said:
    For those worried about bios issues. Make sure your motherboard has a Q-flash feature.  You can update your bios from a USB drive with no cpu installed. They only requirement will be a valid bios from the manufacturer. Asus, gigabyte, and msi should be near certain to have one.
    Unfortunately neither of the motherboard I want have that feature. 
    ASUS X570-P
    ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

...the only 2 full sized ATX motherboard that after you install a 3 wide GPU in still have all the remaining PCIe slots uncovered (can't figure out what the definers of the other boards were thinking). Do they label on the boxes what BIOS version they have?

Well if you really don't want to sacrifice any PCIe slots, you might have to consider getting another low-end AM4 CPU just to update the bios... which sucks... but I guess there might be MBs that are flagged as ready for 5000 series
  • futurewolfie
    Options
    Techguy said:
    ASUS X570-P

...the only 2 full sized ATX motherboard that after you install a 3 wide GPU in still have all the remaining PCIe slots uncovered (can't figure out what the definers of the other boards were thinking). Do they label on the boxes what BIOS version they have?

It's my understanding that x570 motherboards will not need a bios update to run the 5000 series CPUs
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    Techguy said:
    ASUS X570-P

It's my understanding that x570 motherboards will not need a bios update to run the 5000 series CPUs
    I'm not sure if this is true yet... maybe some more recently manufactured boards will... but since there is no actual guarantee of when the BIOS on a specific board was last updated, this might not be true... you might want to check with each manufacturer on a board-to-board basis if current board already have the BIOS or if you'll need an update...

Boards by Gigabyte need an update, but the update is already available, and I assume this will be true for most other boards. Although obviously at some point boards will begin shipping with these updates, and if the 3000 series was any example, they'll have a sticker (or something of the sort) saying they are ready.
  • futurewolfie
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is true yet... maybe some more recently manufactured boards will... but since there is no actual guarantee of when the BIOS on a specific board was last updated, this might not be true... you might want to check with each manufacturer on a board-to-board basis if current board already have the BIOS or if you'll need an update...

Boards by Gigabyte need an update, but the update is already available, and I assume this will be true for most other boards. Although obviously at some point boards will begin shipping with these updates, and if the 3000 series was any example, they'll have a sticker (or something of the sort) saying they are ready.
    thanks, I guess I misinterpreted some of the info. Fortunately looks like the board I want (Gigabyte Aorus Ultra x570) has Q-flash option.
  • VitorVicente
    Options

thanks, I guess I misinterpreted some of the info. Fortunately looks like the board I want (Gigabyte Aorus Ultra x570) has Q-flash option.
    Yup! Also, for the sake of other people who might be looking at this thread for answers, make sure your Motherboard has Q-Flash Plus, not just Q-Flash. Regular Q-Flash allows for bios updates without an OS, while Q-Flash Plus allows for bios updates without a CPU/RAM/Graphics. 

But on that note, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra X570 does have Q-Flash Plus.
  • Ecto1985
    Options
    Anybody else planning on lining up in Brooklyn? I've never done it before but based on what I saw with the 3080 launch, if I want this computer to get built anytime soon, I'm going to have to put in the work! Hoping to snag a 5900x and a new mobo. I was at MC today and they expect high demand, but they also said they have a lot of stock so hopefully it won't be too bad. 
  • Supercharged_Z06
    edited November 2020
    Options
    For the AMD 5000 series CPUs, are any of the Micro Center stores holding a midnight release day party/event (i.e. Opening up the store at 12:00am on Nov 5th to sell the new AMD 5000 series CPUs?)   Or do customers have to wait for the store to open up at the regular 9am store opening time?
    And one more question:  Does Micro Center plan to sell the Ryzen 9 5950X in its stores?

• Techguy
    Options
    Well if you really don't want to sacrifice any PCIe slots, you might have to consider getting another low-end AM4 CPU just to update the bios... which sucks... but I guess there might be MBs that are flagged as ready for 5000 series
    AMD is doing a loan program, but I worry by the time I get the loan the return period may be up on the cpu, mb, and ram (if faulty).
    However AMD suggests the retailer may be able to do the BIOS update for a customer - so how about it micro center?
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Update-from-Retailer

• VitorVicente
    Options
    For the AMD 5000 series CPUs, are any of the Micro Center stores holding a midnight release day party/event (i.e. Opening up the store at 12:00am on Nov 5th to sell the new AMD 5000 series CPUs?)   Or do customers have to wait for the store to open up at the regular 9am store opening time?
    And one more question:  Does Micro Center plan to sell the Ryzen 9 5950X in its stores?

The first part of your question has an easy answer, no there won't be special times, the store will open at regular scheduling for the 5th of November.

As for the 5950X, this won't be known basically until they update this thread with those details... which might only happen tomorrow/Wednesday. However, I find it very unlikely they won't have one of the 4 CPUs, especially when considering all the previous launches.
  • USAgent
    Options
    Would it seem necessary to get there super early for a 5900x? Thinking maybe swing by 8am just to check what crowd looks like.
  • VitorVicente
    VitorVicente ✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2020
    Options
    USAgent said:
    Would it seem necessary to get there super early for a 5900x? Thinking maybe swing by 8am just to check what crowd looks like.
    So, if you mean 8 am on the 5th, yes it'll almost definitely be too late, since most of the people who want the higher ends (5950X and 5900X) will be queueing up a lot earlier... of course that if they really do have a bunch of stock you might be able to pull this off, although, at least to me, it seems unlikely.

My advice is to plan to go in the early morning/midnight since they'll likely have already given out vouchers (if they do use them which is also likely) by 8 am, and you won't be able to find anything.

On the other hand, if you mean 8 am on the 4th, I think you'll likely be number 1 in line, which will definitely guarantee your CPU, but also means a 24-hour wait, which might be overkill.
  • USAgent
    Options
    USAgent said:
    So, if you mean 8 am on the 5th, yes it'll almost definitely be too late, since most of the people who want the higher ends (5950X and 5900X) will be queueing up a lot earlier... of course that if they really do have a bunch of stock you might be able to pull this off, although, at least to me, it seems unlikely.

My advice is to plan to go in the early morning/midnight since they'll likely have already given out vouchers (if they do use them which is also likely) by 8 am, and you won't be able to find anything.

On the other hand, if you mean 8 am on the 4th, I think you'll likely be number 1 in line, which will definitely guarantee your CPU, but also means a 24-hour wait, which might be overkill.

I guess I'm not sure what to expect or how many people are interested for my particular area. Maybe I'll just bundle up and check it out at 6am, it's only 10 mins away. Are other retailers like Best Buy supposed to get stock too? I just feel like a Microcenter would have best numbers/odds.
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    USAgent said:
    USAgent said:

I guess I'm not sure what to expect or how many people are interested for my particular area. Maybe I'll just bundle up and check it out at 6am, it's only 10 mins away. Are other retailers like Best Buy supposed to get stock too? I just feel like a Microcenter would have best numbers/odds.
    I'm not sure how other retailers are handling this, for the RTXs best buy didn't allow in-store, only online purchases, and most other retailers were the same
  • asd6789
    Options
    Can someone at Microcenter confirm that MC will have 5900x and 5950x on launch day, Nov 5?
  • bboy1234
    Options
    I doubt they will.  There is very little information here.
  • Kush
    Options
    Re-iterating the above posted question. Will they have the 5900x in-store, in-stock on November 5?
  • Subtle
    Options
    Is anyone else is camping out in Atlanta? Was thinking of heading there at midnight 
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    Kush said:
    Re-iterating the above posted question. Will they have the 5900x in-store, in-stock on November 5?
    Although again, I'm not an MC employee, I'm just gonna relate what they said prior in this thread. They cannot guarantee any stock, nor do they know yet what they'll have, but once they do they'll update this thread to relate that information.

On another note, it'd be very uncommon for MC not to have one of these CPUs on launch. And usually, they only announce more details the day before/day off, with the RTX launch it was the exact same. And since they might only get stock for some of these CPUs the day of, they won't show up online until then. RTXs only showed up at 6 am on the day of.
  • CragBran
    Options
    I have my eyes set on a new motherboard and a 5800x hopefully they have decent stock.
  • CrispyBudder
    Options
    I’m gonna camp at Dallas location in hope of getting a 5950x. Anyone else coming?
  • Krusek
    Options
    Anyone for the Tustin microcenter? I'm planning on getting a 5900x there or online depending on timing/availability
  • Subtle said:
    Is anyone else is camping out in Atlanta? Was thinking of heading there at midnight 
    me too - Marietta or Duluth?
  • Subtle said:
    me too - Marietta or Duluth?
    I'm thinking about Marietta myself, but my all night camping days are long gone.  If I could get there around 7am for a 5900x I'd do it, but I think that is unlikely.  I'll see how I feel Wednesday night.
  • obogobo
    obogobo ✭✭
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I'll probably pop by Cambridge microcenter 9am and see what I can get, if there's a 5950X sweet - otherwise will be happy with a 5800X or honestly even a 3800XT as I'm upgrading from a 6600K lol. What will be really interesting I think is what chip performs the best in a "5 to 6 loaded cores" workload. Seems very much like the 5800X could outperform a 5950X in that scenario based on base clock ratings
  • bacon4bfast
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Little cold to be camping here in MN but I plan to be there around 6, earlier if I can. Hope there are a few 5900Xs there!!
  • Minh
    Options
    Krusek said:
    Anyone for the Tustin microcenter? I'm planning on getting a 5900x there or online depending on timing/availability
    I’ll be there for Tustin. Planning on coming by around midnight or early morning ish to try and grab myself a 5600X. 
  • Serpo33
    Options
    The stores never know what sku and amount of each they will have until the morning of launch. They stopped getting early shipments of launch day products prior to the 780ti launch. Its also location. Like personally I show up 24 hours before because I'm crazy lol and for the 3090 launch at my location that wasn't even early enough. 
  • SomeRandomGuy
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Minh said:
    Krusek said:
    I’ll be there for Tustin. Planning on coming by around midnight or early morning ish to try and grab myself a 5600X. 

I'm planning to drive 5 hours out to wait in line at midnight for the 5900x and a CPU and some new ram I want to call by wed and make sure that they will have stock.
  • Joker4L
    Options
    I am thinking about going to one of the ATL locations too around 8am on release date.  
  • chipsndip464
    Options
    I planning on heading to Parkville at about 5 am.  It's about a 45 min drive.  My daughter wants to learn how to build a computer so really want to be sure I get a 5900x.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99