Options

Comments

• DaveR
    DaveR
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    DaveR said:
    Hi, was referred here via an email conversation with a Microcenter customer service person named Rosie V. I was planning on getting in line about 8am, but see in this thread that several people are camping out at Cambridge after midnight. Yikes! Not too keen on that myself. Based on recent previous launches (RTX 3000, for example), what was the line like at about 8am? There seems to be a big buzz on the new AMD, but I hear it is not as big as the RTX 3000 (but I doubt that TBH). I want the 5950x, but if it is sold out before my turn, maybe I'll cheap out and get the 3200g to tide me over to get my build going. Initially I was OK with getting the 5900x or 5800x if necessary, but it would be nice to get the 5950x.
    Thoughts on what time is good in Cambridge and my fail-over on the 3200g (I know that is mainly personal preference, but any input would be great)?
    For the 3080, by 8am the vouchers had been handed out and everyone was gone, there were also over 50 people there who didn't get anything... Even though I'm hopeful for AMD stock, and the hype is smaller, if you want to get the top of the line, you will definitely have to be there around midnight... at least to guarantee one
    Thanks for the response.
    So they give out the vouchers at 8am? I suppose I should get there by 6am to get in line for vouchers. Then I can come back (or wait in the car) until they open at 10am. Did I understand this correctly?
  • jonRock
    jonRock
    First Comment
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Do you think I'd have to line up early at the columbus location for a 5600X or a 5800X? I want to get a 5600X, but if for some reason they sold out, I'd get a 5800X.
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    DaveR said:
    DaveR said:
    Hi, was referred here via an email conversation with a Microcenter customer service person named Rosie V. I was planning on getting in line about 8am, but see in this thread that several people are camping out at Cambridge after midnight. Yikes! Not too keen on that myself. Based on recent previous launches (RTX 3000, for example), what was the line like at about 8am? There seems to be a big buzz on the new AMD, but I hear it is not as big as the RTX 3000 (but I doubt that TBH). I want the 5950x, but if it is sold out before my turn, maybe I'll cheap out and get the 3200g to tide me over to get my build going. Initially I was OK with getting the 5900x or 5800x if necessary, but it would be nice to get the 5950x.
    Thoughts on what time is good in Cambridge and my fail-over on the 3200g (I know that is mainly personal preference, but any input would be great)?
    For the 3080, by 8am the vouchers had been handed out and everyone was gone, there were also over 50 people there who didn't get anything... Even though I'm hopeful for AMD stock, and the hype is smaller, if you want to get the top of the line, you will definitely have to be there around midnight... at least to guarantee one
    Thanks for the response.
    So they give out the vouchers at 8am? I suppose I should get there by 6am to get in line for vouchers. Then I can come back (or wait in the car) until they open at 10am. Did I understand this correctly?
    They give vouchers before opening, last time they gave them before 8am, naturally they don't really guarantee a time for giving the vouchers, but it seems that they do it as soon as they get there basically.

But yeah, if you get there at 6am you should see them giving out the vouchers, the only thing is there might be a big line already and you might not get one, but I guess there's no guarantee to how many people will show up and how much stock they'll have.

But yeah, once you get the vouchers you can just leave, for the 3080 they gave us until 3pm to go claim the cards, so you have a good interval, you can even go home and get some rest.
  • futurewolfie
    Options
    ugh I desperately need to get my hands on a 5950X but I am not looking forward to waiting out in the cold all night long. It'd be nice if they at least set up a car line so we could wait in our cars rather than outside.

I'll be at the Westmont, IL location FYI
  • RobL
    Options
    ugh I desperately need to get my hands on a 5950X but I am not looking forward to waiting out in the cold all night long. It'd be nice if they at least set up a car line so we could wait in our cars rather than outside.

I don't think that they will be selling 5950x. They just took it off the "coming soon" category while the other SKUs are still available. Disappointing, I was going to wait in line for 5950x. I will just try to get one online.
  • RobL
    Options
    I asked a representative through text and they said that they do not know if they will sell the 5950x.
  • futurewolfie
    Options
    RobL said:
    I asked a representative through text and they said that they do not know if they will sell the 5950x.
    welllll that sucks. I guess I'll be trying my luck on the internet :-(
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    RobL said:

I don't think that they will be selling 5950x. They just took it off the "coming soon" category while the other SKUs are still available. Disappointing, I was going to wait in line for 5950x. I will just try to get one online.
    Can you give us a link to this?
  • VitorVicente
    VitorVicente ✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2020
    Options
    RobL said:

Can you give us a link to this?
    I sorta just answered my own question, but I think this might just be a bug, now if you look at it, only the 5600X and 5800X are there, and I highly doubt MC won't at least have the 5900X

@.MCAdmins care to comment on this issue?
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @VitorVicente

I cannot comment on what we will have and not have in stock.  I did bring up an issue with our system builder and adding the 5900X to your cart and then proceeding to the cart to check out and place a reservation.  This has been fixed, though unsure if it's because the 5900X got removed as a result.  

As we get closer to the release, I believe we will have more information on what we will be having and it should be posted in this thread.  
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    Hello @VitorVicente

I cannot comment on what we will have and not have in stock.  I did bring up an issue with our system builder and adding the 5900X to your cart and then proceeding to the cart to check out and place a reservation.  This has been fixed, though unsure if it's because the 5900X got removed as a result.  

As we get closer to the release, I believe we will have more information on what we will be having and it should be posted in this thread.  
    Welp, that's better than nothing I guess. TBH the RTXs didn't really get listed on the site until the day off, so I don't think it's a dead giveaway of the stock... we'll see though
  • bigdave32
    Options
    Where is this "coming soon" category you speak of?
  • RobL
    Options
    bigdave32 said:
    You type in a Ryzen 5000 product in the search and it will list coming soon. I use to be able to search 5950x but it is not on the website anymore. 
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    RobL said:
    bigdave32 said:
    You type in a Ryzen 5000 product in the search and it will list coming soon. I use to be able to search 5950x but it is not on the website anymore. 
    It would really suck if they didn't have it, but then again, RTXs weren't on the website until the day, so fingers crossed, cause the alternative is to wait online, and that's gonna be annoying
  • RobL
    Options
    RobL said:
    bigdave32 said:
    It would really suck if they didn't have it, but then again, RTXs weren't on the website until the day, so fingers crossed, cause the alternative is to wait online, and that's gonna be annoying
    Yeah dude, I even have my camping gear ready. I hopethat I can get a 5950x and a 5600x for my portable pc.
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    RobL said:
    RobL said:
    bigdave32 said:
    Yeah dude, I even have my camping gear ready. I hopethat I can get a 5950x and a 5600x for my portable pc.
    Same, I actually got a chair this time, got lucky last time and someone had an extra one, but I'd hate to sit on the wet floor all night. Although you might only be able to buy one of them on day 1 cause of the 1 per household limit
  • sirwootalot
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing as Techguy - I'm building almost a whole new rig (sans new PSU and new RTX 3080), so if the MOBO isn't compatible with a new zen 3 CPU out-of-box, I can't and won't buy either.

I was one of the lucky ones that waited overnight and got a 3080 card at my microcenter, and it was absolutely insane. My store only got 12 cards, meaning the 12th person in line (last to get one) was someone who had showed up to wait in line at 9 PM the night before. I'd been waiting there since 7 PM, since luckily it's only a block away from my work.
  • DaveR
    Options
    Seems there are so many unknowns about what to expect Thursday. Recently, I talked with a sales associate at Cambridge and he told me that shipments usually come in Mondays and Thursdays. I would think they'd get products on Monday and not be able to release until Thursday. If they don't get them until Thursday, we would have to wait until they've unpacked and entered all products in the system first, which will take a little time. Based on an item I wanted, it  went from 0 in stock early on a Thursday to 10+ later that morning (If I recall the timing).
  • For those worried about bios issues. Make sure your motherboard has a Q-flash feature.  You can update your bios from a USB drive with no cpu installed. They only requirement will be a valid bios from the manufacturer. Asus, gigabyte, and msi should be near certain to have one.
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    DaveR said:
    Seems there are so many unknowns about what to expect Thursday. Recently, I talked with a sales associate at Cambridge and he told me that shipments usually come in Mondays and Thursdays. I would think they'd get products on Monday and not be able to release until Thursday. If they don't get them until Thursday, we would have to wait until they've unpacked and entered all products in the system first, which will take a little time. Based on an item I wanted, it  went from 0 in stock early on a Thursday to 10+ later that morning (If I recall the timing).
    This happened with the 3080, they had 2 cards in stock, and 11 coming the next morning. When they gave out the vouchers they gave vouchers for 13 cards, since the shipment was already confirmed by then.

So if this happens it won't be an issue, you can just camp it out regardless, so it's not that big of an issue.
  • jakernkn
    Options
    Anybody going to be waiting at the Sharonville location? Was trying to decide when I should get there. I reserved all of Thursday off of work just so I could recover if I have to camp out during the night (which i really don't want to do but i'll do it if i have to). I have the money set aside for the 5950X but it's looking like that will take a miracle to get. So 5900X will be my second choice because I'm sure 12 cores is perfectly fine for video editing and motion graphics. + I got some really fast memory and a nice new NVME. I'm eager to see my performance increase from my 6 year old 4790K build haha. 
  • CrispyBudder
    Options
    Hopefully in a day or 2 we get a confirmation of if there will be 5950x on the launch date in MC. Because I’m mainly looking to get the 5950x
  • Hopefully in a day or 2 we get a confirmation of if there will be 5950x on the launch date in MC. Because I’m mainly looking to get the 5950x
    What are your reasons for wanting the 5950x over the 5900x?
  • Norn
    Options
    Planning to camp out overnight at St Davids. Not looking forward to it, but doing it anyways. Its gonna be cold.
    I have a bud coming with me, but were only getting 1 chip (5900x). So I'm hoping people don't mind if we trade places in the night to get some sleep in. This is going to be an interesting experience.
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    Norn said:
    Planning to camp out overnight at St Davids. Not looking forward to it, but doing it anyways. Its gonna be cold.
    I have a bud coming with me, but were only getting 1 chip (5900x). So I'm hoping people don't mind if we trade places in the night to get some sleep in. This is going to be an interesting experience.
    When I did the 3080 there was a couple that did this. And on that note, people could leave for a couple of minutes if they needed to go to their cars/bathroom/smoker, etc... so it wasn't too stressful

• dopeyDeveloper
    edited November 2020
    Options
    jakernkn said:
    Anybody going to be waiting at the Sharonville location? Was trying to decide when I should get there. I reserved all of Thursday off of work just so I could recover if I have to camp out during the night (which i really don't want to do but i'll do it if i have to). I have the money set aside for the 5950X but it's looking like that will take a miracle to get. So 5900X will be my second choice because I'm sure 12 cores is perfectly fine for video editing and motion graphics. + I got some really fast memory and a nice new NVME. I'm eager to see my performance increase from my 6 year old 4790K build haha. 
    I live near the Sharonville location, jakernkn.  But I don't think I am going out for this one.  My job will probably only tolerate me taking one day off to camp at a Microcenter and I really need a 6800 XT more than 5900 X.  I also have a feeling it will be easier to get a 5900 X in the next few months than a new gen graphics card.  Why can't they release these on Saturday mornings?
  • DaveR
    Options
    DaveR said:
    This happened with the 3080, they had 2 cards in stock, and 11 coming the next morning. When they gave out the vouchers they gave vouchers for 13 cards, since the shipment was already confirmed by then.

So if this happens it won't be an issue, you can just camp it out regardless, so it's not that big of an issue.
    Just came from the Cambridge MC. Found out they will be opening at 9am due to the Holidays (makes sense, but the site doesn't reference it as "Holiday hours" which is odd). And the sales person didn't think there would be a voucher system. I didn't think to mention the 3080 launch, however, I take this with a grain of salt. He may not know if they plan the voucher system. Heck, they may not know until the day of.  He also thinks there will be plenty of AMD Ryzen 5000s, but when I asked about the 5950x, he didn't seem too sure but still seemed somewhat confident (didn't dig further). I know this is a bit vague, but at least it is a little more info. 
  • AARGH
    Options
    The 5900X has shown as coming soon on the MC page for the Fairfax store.  Anyone know if this translates at all to what they will have on launch?
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    DaveR said:
    DaveR said:

Just came from the Cambridge MC. Found out they will be opening at 9am due to the Holidays (makes sense, but the site doesn't reference it as "Holiday hours" which is odd). And the sales person didn't think there would be a voucher system. I didn't think to mention the 3080 launch, however, I take this with a grain of salt. He may not know if they plan the voucher system. Heck, they may not know until the day of.  He also thinks there will be plenty of AMD Ryzen 5000s, but when I asked about the 5950x, he didn't seem too sure but still seemed somewhat confident (didn't dig further). I know this is a bit vague, but at least it is a little more info. 
    The RTX launch was also like that, they didn't know anything until the day before... so I wouldn't over worry, and the voucher system is just a good way of getting people off their doorstep during COVID, plus it allows us to get some sleep, so I hope they keep it, but if not, then ohh well...

AARGH said:
    The 5900X has shown as coming soon on the MC page for the Fairfax store.  Anyone know if this translates at all to what they will have on launch?
    Once again, and has previously discussed, these CPUs will show up as they get stock, and if the RTX is anything to go by, they might only get a lot of stock the day of the release, so I wouldn't put too much thought into this.
  • Techguy
    Options
    For those worried about bios issues. Make sure your motherboard has a Q-flash feature.  You can update your bios from a USB drive with no cpu installed. They only requirement will be a valid bios from the manufacturer. Asus, gigabyte, and msi should be near certain to have one.
    Unfortunately neither of the motherboard I want have that feature. 
    ASUS X570-P
    ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

...the only 2 full sized ATX motherboard that after you install a 3 wide GPU in still have all the remaining PCIe slots uncovered (can't figure out what the definers of the other boards were thinking). Do they label on the boxes what BIOS version they have?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99