AMD Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 Series Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Geeky1
    Options
    It's pathetic that you guys would make us stand in  lines to get newly released products at all, let alone in a pandemic, most of us have lives and can't or even wont sit outside a Micro Center and play hobo .
     A. Its a pandemic
    B. What is so hard about having a queue? 
    C. Nothing, the only reason for this is to make us roam your stores hoping we buy something else. That's a disgusting move in normal times, in a pandemic, its despicable and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. 
    I started checking the website at midnight until past 2 am (in case the release was PST) and saw nothing. I got the email from MC at 8:21 am with the Ryzen 5000 ad and the website around 10 am said they had 10+ of each in Denver. When I checked that evening it said there was limited stock, but I wasn't able to make it to the store. All day Friday, the website said limited stock and I headed over to the store just to find out it was closed for deep cleaning. Saturday, the website still said limited stock, so I drove over again to find out it was all out of stock and they had not received any shipments since Thursday when it sold out and they were not implementing any sort of waiting list for in store customers. The store was very busy and felt stuffy without much ventilation. Had a Zen 3 been available for purchase or them putting me on a waiting list, I would have purchased it in addition to an X570 motherboard, RAM, and GPU and optical media and cases. But no, I waited in a fairly long line to redeem my free USB stick and left, a dissatisfied previously regular customer. I'll be watching other online sites first from now on. The $4.99 shipping charge from another vendor is well worth it rather than trying to keep driving back and forth to MC with no guarantee of stock or this "limited availability" BS.
  • Geeky1
    Options
    XPGeek said:
    Writing out my whole experience so maybe (just maybe) Micro Center "customer service" can start acting like they are the 189th largest private company in America.
    11/5 - 11/7: I continue texting the number I was given, as it's one of the only lines of communication Micro Center gives you.
    They take efforts to obscure their phone number from their website, Google Maps, and Yelp (really tells you a lot about their willingness to communicate). Found it on Yellow Pages however, so I gave them a call (or four, as the first three dropped after holding for 20-45 minutes each)
    I couldn't find MC's phone number on their website or Google either and since their website still said limited availability Friday night, took the chance and drove over to the Denver store to find out it was closed for deep cleaning, I checked the website and finally found a number to text for information. It seemed to be a bot rather than a live person as it texted back an apology and said the store would open at 9 am Saturday, but did not answer a subsequent text asking about Ryzen 5000 availability. The next morning I got a text saying they were out of stock (presumably from a human this time), but the website still said limited availability so took the chance and drove over to find out they've been out of stock since the morning of launch day. They do need to learn the golden rule "Customer Service is everything" or they will fail. It's hard enough to be a brick and mortar and compete with online, but they are definitely failing with poor customer service.
  • AlphaOmega
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Jason01 said:
    RRV43 said:
    Did Tustin location ever get 5900x stock??
    Tustin received Ryzen 5000 series stock last Monday from what we were told. I went early Friday morning after work around 6am and was the 25th person in line but they never received any. There were 2 3090s and about 10 3070s, and the next possible shipment is this upcoming Monday(11/16). I'm planning on going back again after work on Monday but I'm losing hope. Might just settle for a 3900x at this point... :(

Wait you're saying you waited at 6AM when it opens at 9AM and you were the 25th in line? What on earth...

Unfortunately yes, I was the 4th one in "line" but they had a list going on with the majority of people on that list waiting in their cars. This was my first time waiting in line for something like this and I would've thought it be in a first come first serve basis, but it is not. This made me like the 25th person by the time I got on the list which sucks but did not fuss about it. I can see why they do it, with microcenter Tustin being the only store in CA, it can get pretty hectic when 200+ people show up on launch day.
  • Vaggeto
    Options
    AlphaOmega said:
    Jason01 said:
    RRV43 said:
    Tustin received Ryzen 5000 series stock last Monday from what we were told. I went early Friday morning after work around 6am and was the 25th person in line but they never received any. There were 2 3090s and about 10 3070s, and the next possible shipment is this upcoming Monday(11/16). I'm planning on going back again after work on Monday but I'm losing hope. Might just settle for a 3900x at this point... :(

Wait you're saying you waited at 6AM when it opens at 9AM and you were the 25th in line? What on earth...

Unfortunately yes, I was the 4th one in "line" but they had a list going on with the majority of people on that list waiting in their cars. This was my first time waiting in line for something like this and I would've thought it be in a first come first serve basis, but it is not. This made me like the 25th person by the time I got on the list which sucks but did not fuss about it. I can see why they do it, with microcenter Tustin being the only store in CA, it can get pretty hectic when 200+ people show up on launch day.
    I still see this as first come first serve. They showed up, went to the line and got on the list. Waiting in the car vs in the actual line seems trivial (especially in a pandemic) unless they are showing up and leaving only to come back a few hours later.

I think the much larger concern is that there was a line of 25 people by 6AM on a random day with limited hope of any shipment coming at all. That would make sense on a launch day with at least some guaranteed stock, but is pretty crazy otherwise. I think it is really up to Microcenter to come up with a better way to buy a product. They really should be updating stock for these products each day on facebook or their site, and also confirming if they expect a shipment. They may not always be perfect, but I'm sure even if they don't always know exactly how many, they can do something better than this.

• houstonmc
    Options
    ADMIN, you should do a signup on the site, and then randomly pick people as stock comes in.  you still would have to come in to pick up,(browse the store).  How is the limit 1 per household enforced?  When you check out cashier sees if you have bought one already?  
  • JD23
    Options
    Jason01 said:
    RRV43 said:

Was this an 'official' list? Based on my MC's employees, there shouldn't be ANY unofficial lists. If an MC employee comes out and takes names, that should be the ONLY list. When I got my 3080, we all did see people somehow on the waiting list, but the MC employee was moving everyone that was actually in line and in person up ahead of those people. I'm going to drive by tonight and see if people are already in line for Weds launch.
  • Brad_Isnard
    Options
    I'm hoping the Wednesday launch will be different. I think a lot of the most hard core early adopters already managed to score a 3080 or 3090 by now. That leaves a little room for those of us who are a little more casual about this stuff. You'll still probably need to be in line to get one, but I'm juts saying I think the odds will be better.
  • Swifty
    Options
    Doubt it. As long as there are people willing to pay scalped prices you are going to have people show up with friends, family and even people they pay like $50 dollars to help them score more than 1 gpu/cpu/whatever the scalper is after. Kind of sad that people that actually want to buy to keep and use the products are screwed over by people like that. 
  • Benito
    Benito ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I really hate MIcro Center right now I went today around noon to see if they have 5000 series ryzens and he tells me yes they do. So I go to the back of the store and ask about them and the guy tells me are you on a waiting list and I tell him no, then he tells no we don’t have them. But the guy at the door told me they that you have them. He was like you have to be on the list to get one if your not then we don't have them. The attitude didn’t really help either but I’m getting really tired of going in the store a few times a week for them to tell me I have to be on a list to get the CPU whatever happened to first come first serve. By the way this was at Rockville MD location.  P.S. if there’s a list and you tell the customer about a list at least offer to be put on it or explain the waiting list.
  • bigdave32
    Options
    Amazon's had the 5800x at different times through the day today. Got one around 5:45am. Delivery Dec 2nd.
  • Wrokrn said:
    Anyone know if any stores in NY got stock today?
    Funny enough the 5950s came on the FEDEX truck on a MONDAY ... SMHHHHH and I skipped monday all together
  • Brad_Isnard
    Brad_Isnard ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Benito said:
    I really hate MIcro Center right now I went today around noon to see if they have 5000 series ryzens and he tells me yes they do. So I go to the back of the store and ask about them and the guy tells me are you on a waiting list and I tell him no, then he tells no we don’t have them. But the guy at the door told me they that you have them. He was like you have to be on the list to get one if your not then we don't have them. The attitude didn’t really help either but I’m getting really tired of going in the store a few times a week for them to tell me I have to be on a list to get the CPU whatever happened to first come first serve. By the way this was at Rockville MD location.  P.S. if there’s a list and you tell the customer about a list at least offer to be put on it or explain the waiting list.
    Deleted
  • A_niche
    Options
    Any news about 5950x/5900x stock at the Cambridge store?
  • Anyone know if they have 5600x's in stock at St. Louis Park MN? If so, any idea how many?
  • ToolooKanu
    Options
    any updates on 5950x at Westbury location?
  • JWL
    Options
    So are they not even posting on the website when they are getting them in, the only option is to go to store? How do we join a waiting list if it exists? Kinda hard to go to the store when you work most of the day. 
  • Benito
    Options
    Rockville Microcenter has over 10 in stock at the moment just picked mine up no voucher needed hurry while they last!
  • futurewolfie
    Options
    I'm guessing they only update their stock if it makes it through the line of people that's waiting there in the morning. Several stores now have processors listed in stock online. Westmont IL has 10+ of both 5600 and 5800 showing online.
  • JWL
    Options
    Unluckily i cannot make it over to Microcenter most days till after 4, so no real way to deal with that. Guess i'll just have to wait till they are doing reservations or something.
  • JD23
    Options
    Geeky1 said:
    It's pathetic that you guys would make us stand in  lines to get newly released products at all, let alone in a pandemic, most of us have lives and can't or even wont sit outside a Micro Center and play hobo .
     A. Its a pandemic
    B. What is so hard about having a queue? 
    C. Nothing, the only reason for this is to make us roam your stores hoping we buy something else. That's a disgusting move in normal times, in a pandemic, its despicable and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. 
    I started checking the website at midnight until past 2 am (in case the release was PST) and saw nothing. I got the email from MC at 8:21 am with the Ryzen 5000 ad and the website around 10 am said they had 10+ of each in Denver. When I checked that evening it said there was limited stock, but I wasn't able to make it to the store. All day Friday, the website said limited stock and I headed over to the store just to find out it was closed for deep cleaning. Saturday, the website still said limited stock, so I drove over again to find out it was all out of stock and they had not received any shipments since Thursday when it sold out and they were not implementing any sort of waiting list for in store customers. The store was very busy and felt stuffy without much ventilation. Had a Zen 3 been available for purchase or them putting me on a waiting list, I would have purchased it in addition to an X570 motherboard, RAM, and GPU and optical media and cases. But no, I waited in a fairly long line to redeem my free USB stick and left, a dissatisfied previously regular customer. I'll be watching other online sites first from now on. The $4.99 shipping charge from another vendor is well worth it rather than trying to keep driving back and forth to MC with no guarantee of stock or this "limited availability" BS.
    These CPU's will not be available online for quite some time, it appears. I would discontinue driving to your local MC and attempting to buy one that way. There are lines at the FX MC everyday since the NVIDIA 3000 series launch and those people are going to get all of the product coming in. I get your frustration, but continually driving to the store and pissing yourself off seems like a bad play. I'd guess, at least before XMas, that we might see enough product coming in in which not all are claimed at opening time. There were 2x5950's listed as in stock at the FX MC store on Tuesday, but those processors never made it past the original people that lined up the night before. This is the way things will be. MC doesn't list these products online, because let's be frank, bots would grab them up before any of us got to them, anyway. 
  • Dethy
    Options
    bigdave32 said:
    Amazon's had the 5800x at different times through the day today. Got one around 5:45am. Delivery Dec 2nd.
    I ordered mine 4 days ago from amazon and shows delivery date Jan 14th lol
  • a8cheng
    Options
    Benito said:
    Rockville Microcenter has over 10 in stock at the moment just picked mine up no voucher needed hurry while they last!
    Which ones do they have stock of at the moment?
  • Swifty
    Options
    Guys and gals, download the app hot stock. I was able to get a 5900x from best buy this morning thanks to a notification from the app. Clicked it the second the notification came in and with a few refreshes I was able to check out and I finally secured my cpu and I am picking it up next week. Like most of you I have a job where I am working most of the day and can’t camp out in front of/drive to micro center for days on end waiting for them to receive what I want. 
  • OoAIDoO
    Options
    Hello good people, as of now (11/20 12:30pm CT) Denver has 10+ 5600x in stock! Hurry.
  • Astrobean
    Options
    Anyone know what day of the week Micro Center in Tustin, CA tends to get shipments? Trying to order the AMD Ryzen 5 5600x online has been a nightmare so far.
  • MattMass
    MattMass
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    How can I check inventory without regularly driving 2hrs out of my way during the work week? The 2 phone and text chat responses I’ve got were staff will only say if they have stock in person. Around 1:15 yesterday Cambridge website showed 10+ 5600x in stock. When I got there an hour later the salesperson said they sold out within the past hour. 

I know there’s incredible demand but it’s really frustrating I can’t call to ask if there’s any inventory before I take PTO just to drive there. The past few times I visited there weren’t any shipments that day so I’ve been incredibly unlucky.
  • tullnd
    tullnd
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    MattMass said:
    How can I check inventory without regularly driving 2hrs out of my way during the work week? The 2 phone and text chat responses I’ve got were staff will only say if they have stock in person. Around 1:15 yesterday Cambridge website showed 10+ 5600x in stock. When I got there an hour later the salesperson said they sold out within the past hour. 

I know there’s incredible demand but it’s really frustrating I can’t call to ask if there’s any inventory before I take PTO just to drive there. The past few times I visited there weren’t any shipments that day so I’ve been incredibly unlucky.
    They can't tell you.  As noted before, a lot of these are going to be delivered via drop shipments, as opposed to through normal inventory disbursement methods.  Instead of the product being shipped into the US, to a distributor, then MC's allotments being sent to the various MC distribution centers/warehouses, then delivered to the store....to try and speed up the overall delivery (due to demand outstripping supply), when these allotments hit our shores, they are often drop-shipped straight to the destination store after this hit the US distribution hubs.  That means, these don't enter MC's inventory at all, until they literally show up at the store.  
    Does someone at MC know they are enroute?  Sure, but they don't know it until they are being put on a truck and being sent.  Ask someone who actually works with logistics like this.  I'm sure they notify MC corporate.  By the time someone at MC gets that email and reads it, odds are the deliveries are often being made to the store within 1-2 days.  Not much time for them to really notify them of the arrival.  Plus, they don't know what time of day it'll get there.  Will it be earlier enough for the store to accept into inventory and make available for sale same day?  Or next day?  Don't know.  Again, not part of their normal delivery schedule so there's a bit of unpredictability involved there.
    They may sometimes get a heads up that a delivery is enroute to the store, but even if they do get that, they won't have much warning and they won't know for sure when exactly it'll be there.  Sometimes it could be coming via channels similar to normal business delivery (think UPS/FedEx) and other times it could be through entirely different logistics channels (the slew of other trucking companies out there doing transfer of goods that aren't typically doing customer facing deliveries).   
    The end result is, no they can't usually tell you when it's arriving.  As much as people complain, it's like the saying, you can't get blood from a stone.  They're not withholding it out of spite, or because they're stupid, or being MC has bad business practices.  

--edit:  I should note, they may also sometimes actually get deliveries via their normal inventory process, I imagine that'll start occurring more going forward...but the drop ships, they can't plan for the vast majority of the time.
  • MattMass
    MattMass
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I don’t understand. I’m not asking when they are expecting to get shipments. I’m asking why can’t I call the Cambridge location, ask a salesperson in that store if they can walk to the shelf and tell me if anything is on the shelf? When I was there yesterday the salesperson told me if it wasn’t on the shelf it wasn’t in store. 

I used to do that for customers all the time when I worked at a college bookstore and understand there’s sometimes a disconnect between what’s in the system vs what’s on the shelf.
  • St louis park had 10+ 5600x in stock about an hour ago. Down to 2 online now though. 
  • pravin_patel
    Options
    Anyone know what day of the week Micro Center in Tustin, CA tends to get shipments?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99