AMD Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 Series Launch Discussion

TSPhillipT
TSPhillipT admin
5 Likes First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
edited August 2021 in Reviews & Buying Guides

Today, AMD did an announcement stream for their Zen 3 Processors and they look great!  Advancements on the Zen 3 Architecture is making their processors look insanely good!

Here is what we know from the event.

The Zen 3 Architecture has achieved a 19% increase in IPC (instructions per clock), which translates to much-improved single threaded performance while maintaining the already excellent multi-threaded performance Ryzen has been known for. This increase is largely due to: 
  • Unified 8-Core Complex
  • 2x Direct Access to L3 Cache per Core
  • Advanced Load/Store Performance and Flexibility
  • Wider and more flexible Floating Point and Integer Execution units: Deliver more execution units at a lower latency
  • “Zero Bubble” Branch Prediction: More Branch Prediction bandwidth, which allows less delay when handling back to back predictions

AMD shows the 5900X to be better than the 3900XT by about 26% on average and emphasized the easy upgrade process of just swapping out a chip on a motherboard.

AMD also showed the Single-Threaded performance vs. the Intel i9-10900K using Cinebench R20 as a benchmark. At this point, AMD is showing off here.

(Screenshots from AMD Zen 3 Keynote)

Here is the comparison for the AMD 5900X vs. the Intel 10900K.  It looks like a slight increase in triple AAA games with much larger increases in esports focused titles such as League of Legends, Dota 2, & CS:GO (Counter-strike: Global Offensive).

(Screenshots from AMD Zen 3 Keynote)

The last processor announced was the 5950X and was compared vs. the 3950X and the 10900K.  The 5950X sees large increases over the 3950X in Content Creation with a 27% increase in CAD and a 12% increase in rendering while seeing up to 29% better gaming performance. These are some significant gains. The 5950X, as expected, will outperform the 10900K in content creation and see slightly better performance than the 10900K in gaming, with results slightly ahead of the 5900X. 

The Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 Series Processors are to be launched on November 5th. These processors will be compatible with B550, X570, and select B450 boards through a beta BIOS update.* Check with your motherboard manufacturer for compatibility.

Ryzen 5 5600X

• 6 Cores / 12 Threads
  • 3MB L2 Cache, 32MB L3 Cache
  • Base Clock: 3.7GHz / Boost Clock: Up to 4.6GHz
  • Comes with a Wraith Stealth Cooler
  • Default TDP: 65W
  • Cost: $299 USD

Ryzen 7 5800X

• 8 Cores / 16 Threads
  • 4MB L2 Cache, 32 MB L3 Cache
  • Base Clock: 3.8GHz / Boost Clock: Up to 4.7GHz
  • No Stock Cooler
  • Default TDP: 105W
  • Cost: $449 USD

Ryzen 9 5900X

• 12 Cores / 24 Threads
  • 6MB L2 Cache, 64MB L3 Cache
  • Base Clock: 3.7GHz / Boost Clock: Up to 4.8GHz
  • No Stock Cooler
  • Cost: $549 USD

Ryzen 9 5950X

• 16 Cores / 32 Threads
  • 8MB L2Cache, 64MB L3 Cache
  • Base Clock: 3.4GHz / Boost Clock: Up to 4.9GHz
  • No Stock Cooler
  • Cost: $799 USD

They also did announce Radeon 6000 “Big Navi” and showed some gameplay of Borderlands 3 at 4K using both the 5900X and a Radeon 6000 GPU.  I was not sure what I was supposed to get, since it looked like normal 4K Gameplay and it was such a short snippet.  AMD's full announcement for RDNA2/Big Navi is schedule for Oct. 28th, so stay tuned for that!

If you missed the Keynote, check it out in the video below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuiO6rqYV4o

I am surprised by the higher-end processors lacking stock coolers, but the 3000 Series XT did the same thing.  I think the stock cooler was a massive bonus for Ryzen Processors and helped save costs for budget builds. 

While we hope you enjoyed this read, we’d like to hear from you!

Which Zen 3 Processor interests you, and why?  Are your sights set on the Zen 3 for gaming, or do you have more interest in its performance with content creation?   Let us know in the comments below! 

Check back soon for more details on the release of the 5000 series!

Comments

• It's nice to see AMD amping up their game more and more in the last few years.  
    I'd probably go with the R7 personally but I think it'd make more sense to jump to the R9 5900X at $100 more bones.   I use my current Intel rig for gaming and streaming but these new Ryzen processors are looking very promising.  Can't wait to see some user benchmarks when they release.
  • Hi there, I apologize if this gets asked a lot, but does anybody know if there will be preorders for these new Ryzen processors? 
  • Looking forward to getting one of these, probably the 5900X. Upgrading from a 6700k. Mostly for gaming but also some photo/video editing.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Hi there, I apologize if this gets asked a lot, but does anybody know if there will be preorders for these new Ryzen processors? 
    Historically we haven't done pre-orders for products like this, but there's no official word on this yet. Once we have information to share we'll update the thread with that, the general process will likely be pretty similar as the RTX 3000 launch (although hopefully with better supply)
  • Err0h
    Err0h ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Kryptonic said:
    Looking forward to getting one of these, probably the 5900X. Upgrading from a 6700k. Mostly for gaming but also some photo/video editing.
    Ooh jumping ship from Team Blue?  
  • Finna_tv said:
    Kryptonic said:
    Looking forward to getting one of these, probably the 5900X. Upgrading from a 6700k. Mostly for gaming but also some photo/video editing.
    Ooh jumping ship from Team Blue?  
    Indeed. All those cores for the money are hard to pass up and now it seems AMD has edged out Intel on single core performance too, along with power efficiency. Sign me up. Also, even though PCIE 4.0 doesn't seem to give much real world performance it's nice to have and maybe RTX IO will take advantage of it. I think the last time I had an AMD was probably an Athlon back in 2001 or so.
  • PHYLO
    PHYLO ✭✭
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited October 2020
    We need to see performance benchmarks from the 5600X and 5800X still. But from what's on paper currently, unless you already have an AM4 mobo, you're better off buying a 10850k vs the 5800X or a 10700 vs the 5600X.

Of course this all depends on the exact improvement of IPC for the 5600X and 5800X CPU's. If they're on par with the 5900X's 19% increase in IPC, then they might be worth the extra dough vs Intel's offerings. But currently it looks like the 5600X and 5800X are more marketed towards people already on AM4, while the 5900X is marketed towards BOTH people who are already on AM4 or those who want to make the jump from a different/older chipset.
  • Kryptonic said:
    That'll be a lovely upgrade! If you want top of the line for both gaming and creative work then that's certainly your best bet. Fingers crossed we're able to scoop one up on release day at our local Micro Center!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    PHYLO said:
    We need to see performance benchmarks from the 5600X and 5800X still. But from what's on paper currently, unless you already have an AM4 mobo, you're better off buying a 10850k vs the 5800X or a 10700 vs the 5600X.

Of course this all depends on the exact improvement of IPC for the 5600X and 5800X CPU's. If they're on par with the 5900X's 19% increase in IPC, then they might be worth the extra dough vs Intel's offerings. But currently it looks like the 5600X and 5800X are more marketed towards people already on AM4, while the 5900X is marketed towards BOTH people who are already on AM4 or those who want to make the jump from a different/older chipset.
    Yeah, the 5600X an 5800X are what I'm most curious about. At $300 the 5600X is right around the 10600k price point. I don't expect those prices to stick, the previous gen parts pricing fell pretty quickly, but I don't expect a $200 5600X either, I would guess it's probably going to land right around $250. If the B450 boards that receive BIOS updates don't have any issues with the Zen3 parts then I think AMD's platform will still probably be overall better from a value standpoint, since B450 boards are still generally cheaper than Z490, but B550 and X570 boards are about the same. The real question is if the 5600X will compete with an OC'd 10600k. If it does, then I still think I'd lean towards AMD on this one. 

The 5800X is... a little disappointing at that MSRP. The 3800X was a pointless SKU compared to the 3700X, you were paying extra money for a possibly slightly better bin on the chip which wasn't always true. But instead of setting the MSRP relative to the 3700X, they set it relative to the 3800X. Every other SKU in the stack was a $50 increase in MSRP relative to last gen. Which, honestly, is probably fine. But the 5800X being at $450 with no 5700X to fill in that gap... it basically just feels like the raised the MSRP by $130 instead. 

I understand wanting to skip the 5700X naming because of the 5700/XT graphics cards and having that confusion... but going with the 3800X MSRP feels bad. It can't just match the 10700k, or slightly surpass, it will need to unequivocally beat it for it to be compelling at this price. I was really considering upgrading to Zen3 pending independent reviews, but if I have to pay that much of a premium for the 5800X, I don't think I will.
  • You guys that already in line for Zen 3 are absolutely insane! Microcenter should start charging you rent for staying outside of the store for so long!
  • I'm also curious to hear about any new X570 or B550 motherboards that may be launching with Zen3. Looks like ASUS announced a couple new ones already, but no release date that I saw.
  • Will Micro center have these on day 1 launch? Also, trying to find out when I can get the new x570 Asus crosshair V8 Dark hero from Micro center as well?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Micro center have these on day 1 launch? Also, trying to find out when I can get the new x570 Asus crosshair V8 Dark hero from Micro center as well?
    Based on past releases yes, we should have these on day 1. We don't have an official confirmation on that, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't. 

Don't have any info on the Dark Hero board yet. 
  • Will we be able to reserve them online for in-store pickup or would we have to probably wait in line outside stores before launch day to get one? Not a fan of waiting outside in the cold and risking catching covid from other people just to get a new CPU. But my 1600 with a degrading memory controller really needs to be replaced whenever I can do so.
  • Hello @Generic

We are most likely not taking reservations for the 5000 Series Processors.  It would most likely be first come first serve.  
  • I'm currently using an 8600k from 2017 and it performs for my needs well. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 5600X in the near future especially if the performance is more substantial to my current CPU. Bad thing is also having to buy a new motherboard. 
  • Ep45
    Ep45
    First Comment
    edited October 2020
    I hope there is a good amount of stock for the 5900x as my 5ghz delided 8700k is so long in the tooth.  TSMC don’t let us down!!!
  • Any idea on how the stock will be distributed between the different CPUs? I wanted to get a 5950x, but I'm dreading having to be the 1st in line or not getting it... and I don't really want to spend a rainy cold night for 12+ hours in your Cambridge location
  • Any idea on how many CPUs each store is going to get on the launch date?
  • I'd also like to know availability! Any idea of when Micro Center will get info regarding this? And what is the process for camping outside of an MC store prior to launch?
  • I'd also like to know availability! Any idea of when Micro Center will get info regarding this? And what is the process for camping outside of an MC store prior to launch?
    If the 3080 launch is anything to guide yourself from (in regards to the process) its just get there and see what's happening. Different Microcenters had different measures. CA MC had an organized queue that was being maintained and had checkins ever 2h, the one in Cambridge was just, sit and camp... I think somewhere in Texas there was a car queue

As for the availability, I have no idea, I asked as well xD
  • @VitorVicente thank you so much for response! I was told as well that it'll be like the 30 series. But I have heard that stock wont be as bad as the 30xxx. Im hoping the car queue was in Houston, TX that'd be amazing for me. Anyone who has info for Houston MC then that would be amazing
  • Looks like I'm camping in Cambridge for Zen 3 Launchmas Eve. First time I've ever done this sort of thing, so at least I get a little bit of novelty time. B-)
  • GuyWylie said:
    Looks like I'm camping in Cambridge for Zen 3 Launchmas Eve. First time I've ever done this sort of thing, so at least I get a little bit of novelty time. B-)
    I'll also be camping in Cambridge, around what time were you planning on being there? Also, I did my first time for the 3080, and it was really fun! Everyone was nice, and if you needed you could leave for a couple of minutes for bathroom breaks or some people left to smoke, etc... so it was very chill
  • @VitorVicente thank you so much for response! I was told as well that it'll be like the 30 series. But I have heard that stock wont be as bad as the 30xxx. Im hoping the car queue was in Houston, TX that'd be amazing for me. Anyone who has info for Houston MC then that would be amazing
    I really hope the stock is significantly better... I had to camp 12+ hours to get a 3080... and I was the last one to get it... it was madness. But past releases for AMD also point to it selling out, despite it having a good amount of stock, so I wouldn't count on being able to just go in at 10 when it opens, camping or waiting for online releases is the go-to strategy, good luck!
    I really hope the stock is significantly better... I had to camp 12+ hours to get a 3080... and I was the last one to get it... it was madness. But past releases for AMD also point to it selling out, despite it having a good amount of stock, so I wouldn't count on being able to just go in at 10 when it opens, camping or waiting for online releases is the go-to strategy, good luck!
    I think I might camp out at Cambridge as well... what time do you plan on getting there? and what do you bring? This would be my first time camping outside of a store
    I think I might camp out at Cambridge as well... what time do you plan on getting there? and what do you bring? This would be my first time camping outside of a store
    I haven't decided on the time yet... My advice is, bring a coat, its gonna be cold, and a chair if you can, cause it'll be a couple hours wait minimum.
  • Do you guys know if micro center is gonna be bringing all the AMD cpu models? Or is it gonna be just a couple of them? 

Because I wanted to get a 5950x but I don’t know if micro center is going to have it on the first day or not
  • Do you guys know if micro center is gonna be bringing all the AMD cpu models? Or is it gonna be just a couple of them? 

Because I wanted to get a 5950x but I don’t know if micro center is going to have it on the first day or not
    If past launches are to be any example they'll have all of them, but I'd be careful with stock, I'd assume the 5950x will be the most limited stock. I also want one, and I intend to be first in line.
  • GuyWylie said:
    Looks like I'm camping in Cambridge for Zen 3 Launchmas Eve. First time I've ever done this sort of thing, so at least I get a little bit of novelty time. B-)
    I'll also be camping in Cambridge, around what time were you planning on being there? Also, I did my first time for the 3080, and it was really fun! Everyone was nice, and if you needed you could leave for a couple of minutes for bathroom breaks or some people left to smoke, etc... so it was very chill
    I remember you, you were the chosen one that night haha. I sent you a PM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99